[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.00 MB, 1366x768, 875675675.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11961923 No.11961923 [Reply] [Original]

What is /lit/'s opinion on studying two or more languages at a time?

If one has reached an intermediate level of Spanish, for example, would it be a good idea to start with another romance language?

Would it accelerate the process of language learning, tardy it, or do nothing? Is there any readily available literature on the subject?

>> No.11962300

I'm currently studying German and French, because I'm unemployed. In my opinion it's not easy, but if you make an effort you'll succed. As a Spanish native, I don't recommend you study another romance language because maybe it will make the process more difficult.

>> No.11962344

>>11962300
I'd considered that the vocabulary and/or grammar might get mixed up in my head if I studied another romance language before I'm confident in one. Maybe I'll start German instead.

How do you study? Do you take the grammatical approach or just read and listen to lots of content?

>> No.11962378

It's perfectly fine, you don't get them mixed unless you're a real idiot.

>> No.11962424

>>11962378
But what if I am a real idiot

>> No.11962449

>>11962424
Then don't

>> No.11962482

>>11961923

I'm half assing German (which I studied on its own for a couple of years) along with Italian and Russian. It's slow going and I often find myself trying to respond to one language with another (usually German). I'd suggest sticking with one until you're...idk, a bit above the intermediate mark at least.

>> No.11962510

Well, just make sure they are different languages so you don't mix them up.
I have no issues so far with learning German at school and studying Chinese alongside in my free time.

>> No.11962652

>>11961923
Never met someone who studied more than one language at a time and actually reached an intermediate/advanced level in it.

>> No.11962777
File: 644 KB, 447x677, tumblr_mxw5ww7rol1sjajq6o1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11962482

Yeah, German is a sticky language. Like I said above I'm a native Spanish speaker and even having been studying English for years I find German easier to speak. It's phonetics are easier in my opinion.

>>11962344

Before joining the courses I studied French for five years at school, as a fourth language (I'm from Valencia, so I was born bilingual in Spanish and Catalan and, furthermore, French and Catalan are very similar), but at a very low level.

My teachers are good, and also the books I work with (both grammar book and the cahier/Arbeitsbuch). I'm a dummy so grammar is important, next year we'll focus on vocabulary and speaking.

Some day I want to work as a freight agent, so if I want to succed I must speak as many languages as possible.

But... Take it easy, man. Of course you will mix the languages often. In my region people constantly mixes Catalan and Spanish, or Catalan and French. Even a Chinese colleage mixes Chinese and Spanish often. It's pretty normal.

>> No.11963014

>>11961923
>If one has reached an intermediate level of Spanish, for example, would it be a good idea to start with another romance language?
Yeah, I think it's okay if you're already at an intermediate level with the first one. I expect problems to appear only when you're at the same level with both languages.

>Would it accelerate the process of language learning, tardy it, or do nothing? Is there any readily available literature on the subject?
I'm fairly sure I've read about studies that showed "switching things up" to be beneficial when learning, as in putting everything into a single anki deck or doing 10 minutes of this and then 10 minutes of that etc. I don't have any links for you though.

>> No.11963470

>>11961923
Romance languages are all really similar, if you were to learn two romance languages at the same time, you'll probably mix vocabulary or because of false friends, get confused.

Funny thing is, even when I studied two completely different languages(Hebrew and italian), words still got mixed up. I think that was because I was a begginer at both and my brain thought both languages where the same.