[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 244 KB, 700x684, 80D8E45A-9055-4AB3-9FEE-F5FE989DEB11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11957977 No.11957977 [Reply] [Original]

Write an opening paragraph or two for your imaginary novella. Try to crit others or just give general feedback if you have the time. No meming and no bully pls

>> No.11958062

>>11957977
I received a phone call Sunday morning. A funeral planner was on the other end. He asked me what type of casket I would find preferable. I told him that I didn’t much care and that it wouldn’t much matter to me if I was already dead. He called me a cold bastard and went on to imply that I did not love my mother. I let him know that it was true that I did not love my mother but I didn’t see what my disregard for my mother had to do with the conversation at hand. His voice became slightly more grating and his words terse. He questioned my apparent aloofness and told me that this call was regarding my mother’s funeral. I informed him that unfortunately my mother was still alive and well, that he had possibly dialed the wrong number. His voice grew hoarse. He asked my why the fuck I was wasting his time if he had the wrong number. I wasn’t quite sure. He didn’t like that, called me a brain-dead retard and and promptly hung up the phone. I never much liked Sunday’s.

>> No.11958102

Piercing barks snapped Will's attention to his dog sitting upright on the leather couch against the living room window; and he shouted at her to calm down, but the dog barked all-the-more fiercely, and they clamored in rising crescendo until he stood up just as she sprang down unto the scratched-up, hardwood floor and attacked the crack underneath the front door with more barks. The threat passed with the clinking of the mailbox, and the dog calmed as suddenly as it started, and annoyed, Will returned to his lunch.

I don't know where I was going with this.

>> No.11958211

>>11958062
Solid read anon, even more so the second time around when you're in on the joke. Don't forget there's no apostrophe in Sundays.

>> No.11958243

Since my six years in that town I can no longer abide the noxious smell of malt whiskey, a malodorous reminder of that place brings a chill upon my restive soul; of that small town, unmarked on maps but clinging to the west American coast, as if its residents would slip into the sea and be returned to the old world they fled from. Squat buildings of blackened wood were the claws with which the populace gripped fiercely, a tall white lighthouse being the single baleful eye of flame, watching the sea for newcomers that would be welcomed in one of three dingy inns, barely fit for rats, that served weak bear and even weaker spirits. It was a dreadful place.

>> No.11958326
File: 377 KB, 1280x1915, 33BEC73C-AD1E-4DEB-8979-2E5A6C871134.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In order to avoid the cruel frost of New York winter, Samantha took shelter in the closet Starbucks. Samantha wasn’t the only one with this strategy as the cafe was full of people bundled for what seemed like an Arctic expedition. Fake and real fur was indistinguishable in the crowd, and those who chose fashion over comfort suffered for their ego. The squeaking of wet rubber against the waxed floor did not mix well with the coffee house playing on the speaker. If it weren’t for the merciless weather. She wouldn’t have even considered walking by the chain store. Samantha decided to get a coffee in order to warm herself up. The line was long with impulse items acting as railings. The barriers were littered with coffee makers, mugs, coffee beans, and other miscellaneous products that patterned with Starbucks. She could only describe the display as trendy, appealing to those who will purchase anything labeled “organic”.
> was planning on writing a second paragraph later

>> No.11958863

>>11958211
Thanks anon, I’ll keep the Sunday thing in mind.

>> No.11958881
File: 931 KB, 291x355, X2adJwv.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11958243
Minus some spell checking it's very good. I'm interested in this character.

>> No.11959241

>>11958102
Kinda like the imagery but the sentences are a little clunky imo. I feel like using shorter more direct sentences would help convey the feeling your going for better than longer more descriptive sentences.

>> No.11959510

>>11958881
yeah spelling has always been a big thing for me, I usually have to read through whatever I write a couple of times to be sure

>> No.11960199

>>11958326
Has some potential although it's a bit hard to tell where exactly you're going with it. Also I really don't like the name Samantha but that's just me.

>> No.11960238
File: 1.39 MB, 1400x1977, 1502334540231.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11960199
idk i wrote it while procrastinating in film class. I'll put it on the back burner but right now i'm trying to write a novel.

>> No.11960310

>>11958062
you gotta read more dude

>> No.11960719

>>11957977
When his third and fourth carried the body out of the apartment on a stretcher and dumped it in the back of the van, they checked the guy's pulse and gave a thumbs-up; still, he realised they had fucked up royally. It was the wrong guy.

>> No.11961107

I've done a lot of weird things over the course of my life; Summoned a succubus for a fourth player in a game of Dungeons and Dragons, got a blowjob from werewolf to settle a bet with a ghost, and one time I was even the best man in a wedding between a tree and talking beaver. Right now, my current situation is probably about the weirdest, but when Satan challenges you to a contest for your soul versus any wish you desire, saying no is not really an option. Especially when the Dark Lord is gracious enough to let you pick the what the challenge will be.

>As an aside, my other choice for a novella was to be a group of NPC for a Dungeon and Dragons game trying to correct all the bullshit caused by the typical gaming group's retarded actions.