[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 214x317, aaaaaaayy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11928810 No.11928810 [Reply] [Original]

Haven't read in years and want to get more into reading now. I was thinking about reading the hobbit and lotr (never read them before). However english is not my first language. Will I be fine if I read them in english? Is it complicated english? My english skills are mediocre.

>> No.11928870

>>11928810
The Hobbit is a children's book, so no, it's not hard. I read it in English and my native language is Spanish, but after finishing it I have to say nothing of value would be lost if you read a translation, in fact a translator could improve on it. Tolkien is not McCarthy, Joyce, nor Dante, authors who you must read in the original. I'm talking about The Hobbit, exclusively, as I haven't read LOTR.

>> No.11928904

I've read LOTR translated so I don't know, but Tolkien was a linguist so it might be difficult.

However as general advice starting a 1200 page book in a foreign language doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do if you're only getting into the habit of reading. The hobbit is an easy read though, you could test the waters with it.

>> No.11928933

Read Isaac Asimov

>> No.11928943

>>11928933
We want OP to get into reading not to stay away from. Read Bradbury, OP.