[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 220x315, 220px-TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11906761 No.11906761 [Reply] [Original]

I've read the first 20 pages of this novel around six times and I STILL don't get it. It's making me feel like a fucking brainlet and the nuances specific to it are stunting my enjoyment and appreciation of it.
I understand that the italics denote a shift in time (I'm reading the Vintage version) but is everything following the italic paragraphs also in the same time frame? Or are the italic paragraphs a sort of 'window' where the shift in time is limited only to them?
There must be a way to piece everything together into one coherent, chronological plot but I'm really not seeing it. It's also difficult for me to imagine Benjy as a man when he's surrounded by children who pick him up and move him - assuming that they aren't the same age as Benjy? I really don't know.

>> No.11906802

>>11906761
Just read it you autist. You don’t have to “get” everything especially on a first read. Imagine if you were actually next to a retard such as Benjy and you were listening to him recite his section. It’s sensations not logical thought. Let it flow over you and continue. The later chapters explain much of it.

>> No.11908218

>>11906802
This, but don't expect it to get any easier after Benjy's section. Quentin has his own section which is much more difficult, but much more interesting.

>> No.11908313

Just keep going. When you get to Jason's section it's like puzzle pieces start falling into place. It's very pleasureable after all that frustration.

>> No.11908444

After the fourth chapter, read the appendix for everything to really make sense

>> No.11908521

>>11906761
First off, thanks for reading this masterpiece anon. You won't regret it if you stick with it. This is my favorite book ever and in my opinion, the greatest novel ever written.

>I understand that the italics denote a shift in time (I'm reading the Vintage version) but is everything following the italic paragraphs also in the same time frame? Or are the italic paragraphs a sort of 'window' where the shift in time is limited only to them?
Sometimes, but not always. Use the context (who's there, what's happening to Benjy, how old is everyone acting, etc). There's only like 13 or 14 narratives going on in there iirc so remember each passage is part of one of those.
Sometimes you probably can't tell at all until you read later passages that will take you back to a scene you read about earlier. As far as I remember, usually the scene jump from the italics lasts a while. If I recall correctly the Vintage edition has Benjy's section at like 75 pages? So keep at it and you'll find things start to fit like puzzle pieces.

>It's also difficult for me to imagine Benjy as a man when he's surrounded by children who pick him up and move him - assuming that they aren't the same age as Benjy?
Here's a good example. In the scenes where Benjy is being picked up, he's young enough to be able to picked up.

For another good indicator of time, keep track of who is taking care of Benjy: all the Compson servants in the book are part of Dilsey's family. Keep at it anon, some things will sort of start to make sense by the time you finish his section. Quentin's section is another beast entirely, but I have no doubt you'll enjoy it.

>> No.11908544

>>11906761
Don't be afraid to write stuff down and take notes, either. The first time I read the book I filled out like 50 pages of scratch trying to figure out Benjy's section.

>> No.11908894

Plow through then read Benji's chapter again. It will be more clear.

>> No.11908992

Benjy is a man but at parts during the first chapter he is a child, and the people picking him up and moving him are his caretakers. The changes in time are not windows confined to the italics, the italics suggest a shift. It is not a hard and fast fish.

>> No.11909285

How does it compare to Gravity’s Rainbow in hardness?

>> No.11909324

You're not supposed to. Otherwise it wouldn't be a classic.

>> No.11909407

Just read up what happens beforehand. Makes everything so much easier and more enjoyable. For instance, I didn't get that he was castrated the first time reading it.

>> No.11909714

Thank you everyone for your advice! It's given me a renewed energy to keep trying with it. At first I was merely reading along and letting it wash over me but it bothered me that I wasn't comprehending most of what was happening - good to know that it all starts to fall into place, I'm excited to see where it goes now. Thanks again.

>> No.11910897

>>11909285
More difficult for sure. It's not as entertaining either