[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 326x499, 451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11887697 No.11887697 [Reply] [Original]

>"Now let's take up the minorities in our civilization, shall we? Bigger the population, the more minorities. Don't step on the toes of the dog-lovers, the cat-lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico
>...The bigger your market, Montag, the less you hande controversy, remember that! All the minor minor minorties with their navels to be kept clean. Authors, full of evil thoughts, lock up your type writers They did.
>Magazines becaome a nice blend of vanilla tapioca....
>But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily let the comic books survive. And the three-dimensional sex magazines, of course.
>...It didn't come from the Government down. There was no dictum, no declaration, no censorship, to start with, no! Technology, mass exploitation, and minority pressure carried the trick, thank God!

Has self imposed media and literature censorship begun? Was Bradbury a prophet with this classic?

I see it with the removal of "Little House on the prairie" from awards given by ALA and Mark Twain's works becoming less circulated due to "problematic" content.

I don't want this, /lit/. I want our literature to continue to thrive, but I fear it is too late.