[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 410x231, marcel_proust_1887-e1487198524550.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11871816 No.11871816 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone here have experience studying lit in an Ivy League? Asking for Novel Research.

What was it like? What were the classroom dynamics during freshman year? What type of work was expected from you? Were you depressed?

>> No.11871841

Imagine undergrad at a state school but instead of everyone being smarter everyone is just richer and wears nicer clothes and pathetic American middlebrow upper class tastes

Also instead of being proportionately smarter they are just proportionately more trendy and better at lackeyishly following the latest academic fads and being shallow rich babby activists

Literal fucking nightmare. If you see someone bragging about attending an Ivy League even at the graduate level they're either a moron who doesn't notice everybody's a moron, they've just arrived and they're still filled with self-importance, or they're lying.

>> No.11871846

>>11871816
I have experience being t500 on league of legends. Idk if I can help g

>> No.11871861

>>11871841
Did you attend one, Anon?

>> No.11871873
File: 253 KB, 645x773, 1495288088439.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11871841

>> No.11871887
File: 130 KB, 596x800, 0AA5DAF4-A9F8-458E-95CA-9AD0AD9489DB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11871841

>> No.11871982

>>11871861
>>11871873
>>11871887
>three replies in a row just to make sure that he’s the salty one
gj
He’s right about the majority of students though. Sure most of the talented people are there, but the idea of a guarantee that everyone in your class will be a genius is absurd.
They accept two kinds of students.
The minority have actual potential and maintain the school’s reputation. In exchange they get good education relatively cheaply (scholarships).
The majority have rich parents who pay their way through. They pretty much fund the school and benefit from the work of the above minority despite not having much to offer themselves.
There’s also a matter of connections, prestige and knowing the trends, but everyone knows about that already.

>> No.11872044

my cousin goes to one and a good friend of mine went to one. neither are the most intelligent people I have known, but they are both extremely competitive and are absurdly quick thinking. they can verbalize what they know better than most and have complete systems for their thinking. both also have their hands in many different projects and activities and are resilient and determined as hell. they also both have resentment toward their parents: my cousin's is obvious to anyone who can observe anything and my friend has told me straight up that he does. I remember when I was younger me and my cousin would have competitions about facts concerning geography and american history using these flash cards. I beat my cousin a few times and then the next time we played it was apparent that she was studying these facts hard and was deeply perturbed that her lazy cousin kept beating her. My friend was writing essays on hegel and marx in high school on his own time and would engage anyone who questioned him concerning politics like a marxist socrates. I imagine these are the kinds of people that end up there that don't merely have connections/money.

>> No.11872055
File: 6 KB, 94x79, 5497F898-AACD-4925-936F-C7CBBEDF36C0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11872044
>she was studying these facts hard and was deeply perturbed that her lazy cousin kept beating her

>> No.11872111

Yes, I'm in my third year at the University of Pennsylvania. I can't imagine it's much different at other colleges, the assignments seem extremely standard. We read and then discuss the material in class. Each class usually has two or three essays between 5 and 10 pages due a semester. Most students are smart but there are always kids who dont get it or never speak in class. I think there may be higher levels of stress due to pressures to be overly involved in classes, clubs, work, etc so maybe students dont try as hard in lit classes as they could. I am depressed but not because I study lit. That's really the only thing good I have going for me.

>> No.11872156

>>11871873
>>11871861
I mean he sounds butthurt but he's not wrong. Attended one for a year before having to leave for personal reasons, it's actually a waste of time because you could be reading Matthew Arnold's take on Homer rather than that of a balding uncharismatic estrogen man in his 50's.

Of course, if you haven't read much and don't know where to start, it could be a big help, but not one worth the time or the money imo. They don't teach anything a fairly clever person couldn't teach himself in a year. The romantic old university where you make brilliant friends, compete with your peers, and come out a man of letters doesn't exist anymore. You're going to get Wikipedia tier lists of facts assuming you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you're going to get fashionable nonsense that will actually make you dumber.

This is all in regard of humanities of course. I don't know what STEM is like. Probably worth it.

>> No.11872160

Three words

Chinese
Termite
People

>> No.11872369

In my first year. Most people taking the literature courses are doing it as an elective, like me. I'm majoring in Philosophy but thinking of doing Comp Sci as a minor. Is this a good idea?