[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 113 KB, 270x401, 1498167539648.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11867346 No.11867346 [Reply] [Original]

Opinions on Icycalm/OoTW?

>> No.11867723

>>11867346
Orgy of the Will could very well be called with a straight face the Epistles of Paul to Nietzsche's Gospels. Most of the people on here and other places who mock Alex's work are not being honest enough with themselves; maybe they are unable to do so. And it is easy to brush him aside as just another edgelord when his style is so polemic.

But take a closer look. There is real value in the writings. He has a knack for making insightful connections that you can't unsee. The first night I began to really wrestle with his work instead of just blowing it off as "delusional," I was so shaken that I really did want to kill myself. I went to bed that night with tears in my eyes. What I did not expect at all was that the next morning, I was not suffering from the night's depression but instead had a renewed energy in me, as well as a more fulfilling appetite for life. As I was driving to work, I actually saw a field totally engulfed in the blankest white fog with just a few skeletal black trees, and had to slow down the car and take in the vastness in front of me. Talk about synchronicity.

Being honest with myself had rewarded me, and it was OoTw that brought me there. Since then, I always make sure to return to icy every so often, in order to keep myself attentive. I'm not saying take the guy's stuff as unquestionable dogma. But don't dismiss it. Let it fuck with you. I told this one girl who was into philosophy about it and she said she wanted to see it, so I grimaced and sent her the link. She was texting me about how laughably stupid it was, but eventually said she had to stop reading it because she felt attacked. "Laughably stupid" stuff tends to not have such a strong effect....

>> No.11867785

I enjoy it and I think it's praiseworthy that someone takes an honest shot at this type of thing.

>> No.11868210

>>11867723
The combination of personal insecurity and terror at the nature of reality that Orgy induces really gets to me. I'm glad someone else has also felt such an intense reaction to it.

Did you write that thing on the praise page about crying yourself to sleep?

>> No.11868244

>>11867346
I've never read him but people on [redacted forum name] keep comparing me to him by way of an insult.

>> No.11868534

>>11868210
I did not, but I was interested that someone else had such a similar reaction.