[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 259 KB, 446x600, swans-island-library-fire.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1186661 No.1186661 [Reply] [Original]

Only elitist assholes with a false sense of superiority major in english.

no trolling, this also oddly explains why I've never liked any english teacher except for my high school junior one. she still was, but was in no way passive about it.

discuss

>> No.1186677

I don't think that's necessarily true, not always anyway. I've always found Philosophy majors to be disagreeable....but it's usually professors that are assholes about it.

>> No.1186676

thats nice, bro. this is a good thread.

>> No.1186685

you're a fool that makes sweeping generalizations on the internet. die please

>> No.1186684

What a useless assertion, OP. Weakest thread ever.

>> No.1186686

A friend of mine just switched from Computer Science to English because he realized he loves writing, not because he is an elitist asshole.

>> No.1186689
File: 319 KB, 1135x713, joint-library-card..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1186698

Cool anti-intellectual generalization bro.

You have no idea what shit I took from my extended family when I declared English as my major.

I'm slowly starting to realize that there's no way around people thinking like this about Literature in general, however. Sometimes I wish I'd picked something else, because I'm tired trying to persuade people the subject is worthwhile.

Culture is fucked. If people refuse to appreciate lit, then whatever. Also, hipsters don't help.

>> No.1186727

>>1186661
Only academic gutter-trash unable to cut it in the hard sciences and desperate to hide their intellect-related insecurities under a veil of false intellectual bravado major in english.

fix'd that one for you, bro.

Only elitist assholes with a false sense of superiority major in english.

>> No.1186735

Only people who want to learn about literature major in English.

>> No.1186737

harrumph!

>> No.1186738

>>1186727

No.

>> No.1186739

>>1186727
Because no one could ever follow the subject out of passion, right?

>> No.1186745
File: 292 KB, 2288x1712, 322357943LJoAOo_fs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186735
>thisiswhatenglishmajorsactuallybelieve.jpg

>> No.1186756

>>1186745
>implying I'm an English major

Actually, I should amend that: you get some elitist assholes and some people who actually want to learn.

>> No.1186760

>>1186727

Wow bro, you just blew my mind, I'm convinced English is useless thanks man time to go learn me some Physics Fuck YEAHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT MOENYYYYYYYYYJOBBBSBSS

>> No.1186778

At my school, people major in English because they aren't good at math or science. Elitist assholes make up only a small minority, and are by no means overrepresented in English compared to any other discipline.

>> No.1186801
File: 196 KB, 1800x1200, 13Gha.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Most people major in English for the job opportunities and pay.

>> No.1186811

>>1186778
Fuckin' this.

>> No.1186814
File: 391 KB, 642x1083, lit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1186823

Alright, legit question here.

I am deciding between majoring in English... or Engineering (probably electrical).

I love writing and reading, but I also love science and math. I think I have far more passion for English however. I have well rounded test scores (SAT 700math710reading720writing) and am applying to about 10 colleges each.

Tell me which I should choose and why.

tl;dr: cool story bro.

>> No.1186825

I'm majoring in English because I would rather do something I enjoy than do something which makes more money.

>> No.1186827

>>1186823
Do you have the same passion for Engineering as you do for English? If so, go for Engy. More cash/job opportunities.

>> No.1186832

>>1186827
>I can't read

bro go for English. It's more rewarding to do what you love than what you think will make you more money.

>> No.1186835

>>1186686
he's going to hate studying it then. the english majors already there are going to jimmy-whack him into submission with their literary penises that consist of hack poets and books that nobody outside of high school reads.

>> No.1186845

>>1186823

Unrelated, but did you take the ACT?

Fellow high school senior here.

>> No.1186848

INCORRECT op people who are shit at math do it aswell

>> No.1186850

>>1186823

how many books have you read? how many authors and poets do you know by name?

if the answer is not many to one or more of those questions go for engineering

>> No.1186854

>>1186845
Yeah. Don't quite remember my subscores but I got a 34 with writing.

>> No.1186857

>>1186850
Loads. I read all the fucking time. My friends ask me for book recommendations a lot. Feels good, man.

>> No.1186872

>>1186854

32. Damn you ;_;

My essay was pretty wretched.

Screw standardized tests, screw private colleges, I'm gonna go to a state school and graduate without debt.

/rant

Good scores, go to Stanford or somethin.

>> No.1186877

>>1186872
pssh 32's fuckin good man. Don't self hate.

I'm throwing out so many apps I have no idea where I'll end up. Brown is my #1 for English, and Olin College of Engineering is my #1 for Engy.

>> No.1186891

I'm thinking of choosing english, but my fear is that instead of intelligent classmates, I'll get idiots who only read some kiddie garbage.

I'm getting sick of people who say they love reading books and do a lot of it, but then don't read anything worthwhile.

>> No.1186895

Didn't read this thread at all, but I just want to say that my old roomate in college majored in English because, as he put it, "I'm lazy and just want easy classes."

>> No.1186897

>>1186877

Thanks man, it's just frustrating scoring lower than you expect on those things. Those are impressive schools though, don't think I'll be trying for any Ivy's, my reach is more like Wake Forest or UNC Chapel Hill (Carolina native here).

Too bad I'd have to sell a kidney to afford WF, /sigh.

But I do have a friend in your exact same position. His father is an electrical engineer, he finds engineering interesting, but he also greatly enjoys English (He's taken AP with me two years now.) He's applying to two colleges in the same way you are.

I think his plan is to see which uni gives the better financial aid package, then decide based on his personal feelings and compatibility with the college.

>> No.1186902

>>1186895

What do/did you major in?

>> No.1186909

>>1186897
Word. Financial aid is going to be a massive part of it, don't get me wrong. I have a ~$60k+ scholarship to RPI... which I didn't much like but might have to end up going to if I end up in a money nightmare.

Just hoping I get some money from my NFAA application and some other random stuff. Got shafted with National Merit: commended status (no money for you!) by like 1 point.

>> No.1186911

To interject, I was in the similar situation to you, Anon. I majored in English and went to a state school. I have mixed feelings about that decision, now, mostly because I was lazy about my career. Going back to get a teaching certificate, so I can at least make money, but I'm not sure that's what I want to do forever. I'm fortunate I have no debt.

So my advice...
YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE A CAREER PLAN IF YOU MAJOR IN ENGLISH.

Engineers can fuck around and be somewhat lazy about that type of thing, but you cannot. Otherwise you might graduate with no solid network and consequently no options.

Also, college will make you realize how much everyone and everything sucks. If you want to be able to support yourself, or are the 'responsible one' that others rely on amongst your friends & family, reconsider the English major.

I was that person throughout undergrad, and I hate not being able to assume that role anymore because of my shitty degree and unemployment. I feel like a liability at times, and it strains my personality.

So, food for thought.

>> No.1186916

>>1186801
>Pay

hahahahhahahahahahahahaha

>> No.1186932

>>1186909

I really, really wish I had known the PSAT was also the NMSQT.

I took it in no way seriously and regret it terribly.

Anyways, good luck with the FA, sounds like you've got some good scholarships lined up.

By the way, do you go on College Confidential by chance?

>> No.1186936

you're right OP, and i'm an authority of elitest assholes.
on the other hand: only retards with inferiority complexes use spoilers when not certainly necessary.

>> No.1186938

>>1186932
Thanks man.

And no, I don't think I've ever used CC. Looks good though; wish I'd used it earlier in my college searching.

I'm off though. I have a week to read Lolita (banned books week in AP Literature) and I'm mad busy this weekend... later.

>> No.1186942

>>1186938

Later, best of luck.

>> No.1186943

>>1186942
You too.

>> No.1186946

>>1186902
I did accounting. I now kind of envy him since he's a teacher who gets out at 5 every day, while during busy seasons I'm pulling 60+ hour weeks.

>> No.1186947

>>1186938
>reading Lolita in high school
why the fuck was my English class not this awesome

>> No.1186945

>>1186911
This.

My old roommate was a double major in English and women's studies (women's studies she just did because she liked it). Her initial plan was to go into publishing, but she's not sure if she wants to do it anymore. She is by no means pretentious, but she loves literature and loves to talk about it (I get wicked book recommendations from her).

However, she's sort of having a panic attack since she has no idea what she wants to do with her life. It's her first semester out of college, and I'm fairly certain she's putting off grad school until she's sure about what she wants. And she's one of those people who hates not having a plan.

>> No.1186960

>>1186946

But you're making quite a bit more $.

Not to mention job security, a good CPA (or whatever accounting you're in) is one of the most sought after positions to fill at any business.

And I'm saying this as someone who is considering an English major.

>> No.1187003

>>1186661
that's really sad op; there must be some shitty people majoring in english where you attend uni

>> No.1187037

>>1186938
>read Lolita
>banned books
why couldn't my high school have read that when we went through the banned books course. we got Speak and some other nonsense.

>> No.1187062

I was one of the top students in my high-school at Chemistry and Biology. I decided to do English because I love English and literature.

What's wrong with doing something you like instead of something that pays well? You call it useless. I call the LHC (which like-half-or-so of Physics graduates work on) useless. We don't need to find out about the fabric of the universe because it won't change anything. Isn't a form of art that manipulates emotions and changes lives and possibly morality better?

>> No.1187089

James Joyce, the greatest English literateur since Shakespeare subjectively, majored in English.

>> No.1187098

>>1187089

But he was also the greatest English litterateur since Shakespeare subjectively, so I don't think it would have fazed that standing one bit if he had majored in anything other than it.

>> No.1187113

Just from a random website, OP: 'Other famous majors include Alan Alda, Russel Baker, Dave Barry, Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, Carol Browner, Chevy Chase, Mario Cuomo, Michael Eisner, Jodi Foster, Kathryn Fuller, Dr. Seuss, a.k.a. Theodor Geisel, A. Bartlett Giamatti, Cathy Guisewite, Chris Isaak, Paul Newman, Sally Ride, Joan Rivers, Diane Sawyer, Paul Simon, Steven Spielberg, Marty Shottenheimer, Superman, Brandon Tartikoff, Clarence Thomas, Grant Tinker, Harold Varmus, Barbara Walters, Sigourney Weaver, Pete Wilson, and Bob Woodward.'

>> No.1187115

>>1187113

Got me going until...

> Superman
> mfw.mpg

>> No.1187117

is it okay if i'm double majoring in English and linguistics?

----> Philology

>> No.1187118

English majors are some of the most good-natured but self-deprecating people I know. A lot of the ones I've met seem to understand that they're fucked in ways Premed/Engingeering majors aren't, so they just ride with it. It's kind of nice because everyone's so friendly and we all geek out over the same stuff.

>> No.1187147

>>1187118
that's nice, except when you haven't read something they have they hold it over your head. especially if you have very, very different tastes in literature.

>> No.1187169

>>1186735
My friend, who is majoring in English, doesn't have much of an interest in literature. He wants to be a writer of, well, anything (technical writing, columnist, etc).

>> No.1187173

>>1186677
>Philosophy

IMO as a Philosophy Major, it comes with the territory.

It's an entire subject filled with the expressed purpose of getting you to read a bunch of arguments that have spanned the length of human history. It's hard not to have opinions about stuff when you know a lot about it and have read a lot on such problems.

Or it's just a common attitude problem that exists in people who like Philosophy, one or the other.