[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 14 KB, 250x253, 250px-Rene-guenon-1925.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11857973 No.11857973 [Reply] [Original]

I heard someone once say here that Heidegger's conception of truth (a unity of the immanent and the transcedent) was ani-traditional, although didn't elabourate. Is that not literally what Guenon says though in the Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines? Ie. That truth is found by removing the distinction of subject and object through ascetecism?
Am I wrong here? Any anon please help me out here.

>> No.11858045

What's the quote?

>> No.11858107

heidegger never said that, I should know, I was with him every moment of his life and wrote down everything he ever thought, said, or did as it happened

>> No.11858152

>>11857973
> Heidegger's conception of truth (a unity of the immanent and the transcedent) was anti-traditional

You should take what people say with a grain of salt when they vaguely throw around words like Traditional on 4chan (while still not letting that prevent you from evaluating what they are writing on its merits). Even 'Traditional' concepts in the sense the Traditionalist writers use it can be still be considered anti-traditional if couched in the wrong format, if taught in the wrong way and so on. For example many of them try to dunk on Spinoza as anti-traditional despite there being broad similarities between his thought and Daoism/Vedanta albeit with some key differences. I don't entirely know the context here but just going by first impressions Heidegger could be considered anti-traditional because he consciously identified as propounding philosophy, it was not divinely-revealed knowledge, not part of any religious tradition, there being no chain of initation and instruction, he was quit openly framing his ideas in the context of what previous philosophers wrote, forwarding what someone like Guenon would consider 'profane' knowledge as a response to other previous profane knowledge. The Tradtionalists would consider that the truth is supra-individual and that any time someone like a philosopher concisely elaborates their own personal 'philosophy' it's necessarily not the truth because it's been tainted by individuality and their sensibility in a sense (sages and saints etc being considered as different because they either are receiving the dope directly from the big man himself or because they are indebted to and within the context of a larger tradition which is/has).

>That truth is found by removing the distinction of subject and object through asceticism?

He considered that the ultimate truth is fundamentally only reached through knowledge (received through the personal instruction of a teacher and the accompanying realizations by the individual) all other means only being a preparation for knowledge and a means of leading to it, asceticism being one of these. Yes, it's true that where there is no distinction of duality or of subject/object there is implied a unity or mutual collapse into each other of the transcendent and immanent. From certain perspective this is correct, although it may perhaps be better to phrase it as that which was immanent is really revealed to be transcendent all along and the transcendent is not even really transcendent for it is the unconditioned and distinctionless ultimate reality which existed all along and can only be considered transcendent from the perspective we find ourselves in now. The problem that someone like Guenon would have with Heideggar is that by the very fact of the way formulated his ideas it would forever remain theoretical and that nobody would ever be able to reach that state just through reading his books or even learning from the man himself.

>> No.11858220

>>11858107
Most exciting boring gimmickposter of 2018! Every time I infrequently see you making an unfunny, bad post I think HA-HAAAA IT'S HIM AGAIN! SUCH A FIXTURE OF THE BOARD! Filtered.

>> No.11860037

>guenon threads used to be about discussing ideas but have now degenerated into /mu/-tier attention whoring
its like you guys haven't even read guenon.

>> No.11860135

>>11858152
Very helpful, thanks anon.

>> No.11861871

>>11858220
chill out, sperg

>> No.11863051

>>11857973
well, Heidegger certainly wasn't tied to a traditional system and instead tried to LARP germanic paganism together with pre-socratic hellenism, with a dash of augustine for good measure

>> No.11863097

>>11863051
>instead tried to LARP germanic paganism
i see this all the time on lit. are u guys just memeing or what?

>> No.11864134

>>11860037
Nobody who is actually trying to talk about his ideas in detail does that, it's just that threads about him and related subjects attract people trying to derail the thread like flies to honey

>> No.11864143

>>11858220
I have INSIGHTS that I want to share with you. Let me do it.

>> No.11865402

>>11864143
Does anyone know how to filter trips? This guy is super unfunny.