[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 500x795, The_Way_Of_Chuang_Tzu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11810049 No.11810049 [Reply] [Original]

thoughts?

>> No.11810239
File: 813 KB, 1548x2385, the portable dragon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11810049
I have it. I read it. The intersection between Daoism and Christianity is fascinating, and Thomas Merton was apt to note the similarities. On the other hand, he only collated various German and other Western translations — he himself didn't speak a word of Chinese. The book is worth a read, however.

On a similar note, this version of the I Ching is the only one I use for casting. Unless you're Chinese, or else a super-autistic Jungian, this book is the way (hah) to go. Instead of just presenting a literal translation, Ralph Siu also collects relevant passages from world literature (mostly European, but also some random African and Arab shit thrown in) to suggest the true meaning of the hexagrams, by use of metaphor. He also spoke Chinese.