[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 63 KB, 600x600, uWx62iWzES-iABbvPeFE8hfcksH4OsbKH1Zys9XfdpY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11809509 No.11809509 [Reply] [Original]

Is anyone else intentionally "regressing" in their reading ambitions and tastes? The end result of all the supposedly good advice about reading is that you become some sort of midwit New Yorker Magazine reader or some shrill basedboy leftist critiquer. /lit/ is also embarrassing in its attempts to co-opt Christianity. And everyone who claims to love the Ancients looks like a dumb pseud.

I am not seeing any type of non-STEM intellectualism that seems worthwhile.

>> No.11809514

You are free to leave. Perhaps /leftypol/ suits your tastes more adequately

>> No.11809530

>I think about labels all day long
Who are you calling midwit lol

>> No.11809536
File: 34 KB, 800x537, housecentipede.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11809509
I dunno know what kind of commie gobbledy-gook your spewing but I can say without a doubt that the more I read, the more isolated and incapable of having a conversation I become.

People around me talk about nothing, all day. Small-talk and platitudes. I have nothing to say to them that they would even begin to understand.

I feel I have more in common with pic related than the general public.

>> No.11809630

>>11809509
I started reading comics and graphic novels this year if that is what you mean. Some are actually very good.

>> No.11809651

>>11809536
At least you can acknowledge you're a bug

>> No.11809664

>>11809509
you're supposed to read what you enjoy and what interests you and mold your own vision from that.

>> No.11809668

>>11809536
I imagine the bug in Metamorphosis as ebing this sometimes, even though i know it's actually a cockroach type thing, since he describes its rounded shell or whatever. Imagine a giant this thing on the walls or celing or upright opening the door is far more horrifying to me than a cockroach. Just knowing that is exists in the room next to me and it is my son or brother or whatever, I mean what the fuck.

>> No.11809669

>>11809536
you're an example of a person abstracted away from life. pity.

>> No.11809686

>>11809669
Says pure text anon

>> No.11809727

>>11809536
the reason people at work and in most casual settings talk about nothing, small talk and platitudes is everyone understands its socially efficient. people would be able to understand what you have to say but normies know discussions involving politics, religion and so on is these discussions get heated and people become needlessly upset and angry.

the second reason is the discussions always go and end the same fucking way.
>im like this
>well im like this
and after back and forth like that for hours, at the end everyone agrees everyone is entitled to their belief system and life's meaning is what you make. everyone has had these kind of discussion already and is not in the mood or has the energy to retread this tired supposedly meaningful discussion. the banality of talk about weather and sports is a reprieve from one's own anxiety and mental fatigue.

if you go around with a chip on your shoulder believing you are superior because you cant be fucked to participate in basic social processes people are going to pick up on your superiority complex and nobody is going to open up to you either, sharing their actual deeper thoughts and issues in life since there is a presumption youll just see that as trifling or you will condescend to them. if you want that you have to get over your fear (which you have sublimated into resentment) and offer something of your actual self and not abstract philosophical or political analysis, and this has to be done at your initiative, not someone else's asking: with good reason the social default is to not pry

>> No.11809734

>>11809727
This is wrong on many levels but i dont have the energy to explain why

>> No.11809743

>>11809536
based pede! #MAGA

>> No.11809763

>>11809727
thanks for the reply.

I think the last section is actually spot on... maybe I've got a superiority complex or at the very least have made myself inaccessible because people know I'm very opinionated on just about everything. Time to crack open some dale carnegie again I suppose and learn to step back.

>> No.11809767

>>11809727
I find if you act in a genuine way people open up to you basically immediately and quite intensely. It isn't really about prying or asking them questions it is just letting them know like 'we are both here and aware and I get that and am on your team' which is a hard thing to convey in words but you do by basic disposition and how you are and respond to them. Most people are not exactly aware of everything that is going on in them so you get a refracted image of things, with hidden parts, but these hidden parts are usually not that hard to understand.

There is a constant impulse towards conflict, but this is bred of fear of being judged or rejected, which is a pointless fear. If you just look at what is, then it makes sense.

It Is a sort of calm wrt social interaction, you normally don't say that much, but it draws people to you and makes them want to talk to you. Idk if I have explained this properly but it's something I have noticed in my interactions.

>> No.11809888

>>11809509
>I am not seeing any type of non-STEM intellectualism that seems worthwhile.

That's because it isn't. Only a select few should be out there intellectualizing about their opinions in the humanities, but pursuing the knowledge for it's own sake and keeping your mouth shut about it is good.

>> No.11809898

If it's not entertaining or interesting, don't read it.
People who try to be smart instead of just authentic are usually boring.

>> No.11809901

>>11809509
Why do you find some people’s pursuit of spirituality embarrassing?

>> No.11809911

>>11809509
>And everyone who claims to love the Ancients looks like a dumb pseud.
The ancients are so easy to enjoy even 12 year old would probably find them entertaining. Embarrassing post

>> No.11809917

>>11809767
Beautiful post anon good insight

>> No.11809930

This is because you read for social status, not because you find things interesting and enjoyable to contemplate.
I read 30-40 books a year and no one knows me as a "reader". I don't even own a shelf because I have all my books on my cheap e-reader or phone.

>> No.11810047

>>11809767
>>11809727
good posts

>> No.11810357

That's why I don't read novels. I've never met anyone who has read 2000+ non-fiction books and wasn't a highly intelligent and interesting person worth listening to.

>> No.11810576

>>11809767

when you act in a genuine way normies use you to tell you bullshit to vent about, so prepare yourself if you go this route because you will be filled by sob stories about how stacy didn't go to prom with billie because he smells wrong or something

there is no reason to talk to normies anyway, their insights are really basic and they don't care, actually most of them haven't deal with any suffering at all and barely recognize their own parents will die some day