[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 335x450, ObamaTimeMagazineCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1180366 No.1180366 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/, do you subscribe to (or otherwise regularly read) any newspapers or magazines? Which ones?

Pic related, by the way.

>> No.1180367

I like GQ.

I dunno, I just really like how some of the articles/interviews are written and sometimes they have some really interesting blurbs on culture and stuff. I mean, in addition to sounding a bit douchey and gay at the same time.

Otherwise, NatGeo.

>> No.1180372

I subscribe to The Economist. If I had a little more money I'd subscribe to The Paris Review. It's not what it used to be but it's still gets a lot of good material. After that I'd subscribe to The New Yorker. Their comics suck but they do get some interesting writing every once in a while.

>> No.1180373

Well I'm a reader of the Age - which pins me down as a lefty from Melbourne. Occasionally I'll pick up a Herald Sun or The Australian for lols. Maybe even the International Herald Tribune if it comes in on time at the library.

Otherwise magazine-wise I frequently read National Geographic, Australian Geographic, The Monthly, the New Yorker (yeah it gets an international readership) and Quadrant (but only it's literary section. Couldn't put up with all the right-wing bullshit) to name a few. I have a lot of spare time between certain classes.

I don't subscribe to any of it except a student subscription to The Age. Thank fuck for uni libraries is all I can say.

>> No.1180376

Used to subscribe to TIME, but I started to really hate the pro-USA and China-shipping shit after that article criticised the EU unfairly (the one about a 'shrinking Europe').

I've subscribed to Granta, however. A literary magazine which is pretentious but has some poignant stories. I don't know why three of the eleven or so stories in the 'Sex' issue were about gay issues though. It seems somewhat disproportionate.

>> No.1180377

I have a subscription to Spin.

>> No.1180380

>>1180376

Yeah there was a time when Time kept some of the more annoying parts of their American conservatism on the down-low and it was a great publication. Sadly that time may have past.

>> No.1180383
File: 22 KB, 300x412, brautigan.watermelon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Paris Review FTW

>> No.1180387
File: 15 KB, 225x300, brautigan5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1180376

Probably because faggots and dykes get published just for writing about sucking cock and eating pussy.

Their entire lifestyle is formed around sex and they've been allowed to showcase this through the arts much easier than one would think.

Imagine if Tennessee Williams were 21 in today's world, he would never get to writing his good shit, just go straight into the cocksucking and grotesque game.

>> No.1180388

>>1180366
National Geographic and The Jerusalem Post

>> No.1180389

Are you guys kidding me? Time is pretty liberal.

>> No.1180400

Vanity Fair is my favorite. I don't subscribe, but I read it at work every month. It's such a misleading magazine.

I also read GQ, Psychology Today, Time, Scientific American, and Sports Illustrated. Again, no subscriptions, I just read them at work (work at a grocery store).

>>1180367
GQ has some really good articles, but they're hard to find amongst the ads for things I'll never be able to afford.