[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 206 KB, 710x735, immanuel-kant[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11787599 No.11787599 [Reply] [Original]

So I've been reading Prolegomena along with some of the relevant sections of The Critique over the past few weeks and I wonder if it's possible to delve deep into Kant's metaphysics and epistemology without paying too much attention to his ethics and moral philosophy? The former looks - so far - way more interesting and relevant than the latter.

>> No.11787863

>>11787599
>The former looks - so far - way more interesting and relevant than the latter.

I think most people would agree with you. I don't know anyone who really affirms Kant's moral outlook.

>> No.11787880

>>11787863
Yeah, this is the impression I get. As far as I can tell his systematic approach led him to a lot of conclusions that - while well argued and internally consistent - seem so out of touch with reality and subsequent philosophy that it doesn't seem worth getting into. The trolley problem is a famous critique of Kant obviously, but also his assertions like masturbation being worse than suicide really just makes me feel like the the reasoning behind that isn't worth getting into.

I'll still read Groundworks after Prolegomena because I don't want to dismiss something completely without getting into it, but still. You obviously agree with me but I'd like to hear the opposing view as well.

>> No.11788144

>>11787880
>but also his assertions like masturbation being worse than suicide

based kant

>> No.11788377

>>11788144
The only reason why he believed that was because he was brought up as a Lutheran and lived long before sexual liberation was a thing.
My response to that would be that having sex for the sole purpose of pleasure is more immoral than masturbating because it affects more than one person, meaning it requires for there to be unneeded social interactions, and does not lead to anything that would otherwise not be accomplished just by masturbating.

>> No.11789097

>>11788377

It’s the other way around. Exchanging energy, emotion, time, movement, with a real person is what makes it healthy. Not all sex is good tho.

It’s regularly ejecting your libidinic force into an emotional fantasy that causes problems. His argument about it being worse is probably because a dead man can’t cause problems. While your brain on masturbation is spreading a virus.