[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 645 KB, 2560x1255, 91cz1KQZ36L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11776799 No.11776799 [Reply] [Original]

Why did GRRM stop writing the books?

>> No.11776805
File: 86 KB, 563x640, 1535159565611.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> /lit/
Game of Thrones is literature

>> No.11776812

Because he's fat

>> No.11776816

>>11776799
The more he drank the more he shat and the more he shat the thirstier he became.

Though really I don't blame him for not finishing his faggy little series. He got rich fairly late in life so he might as well enjoy it for however long his obese ass has left instead of wasting time peddling more genre shit he's not even interested in writing anymore.

>> No.11777353
File: 2.53 MB, 1005x742, 1534319986432.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think at this point he's actually hoping that he'll die before he finishes, so that that way the readers will be able to mentally insert some nebulous satisfying ending, or John Preston their way to trying to determine what the ending was "going to be" for eternity.

What really makes this funny is that when Martin wrote the original pitch for ASOIAF (it's one page long) it was actually very straightforward, and a very traditional and unambiguous sort of fantasy. "The Last of the Dragon Lords of Valyrian," I mean for Christ's sake.

But the character of the story he initially envisioned was soon overtaken by the nihilistic and postmodern attitudes that Martin himself holds. It's actually tragic, because part of the reason that people liked Martin was that he subverted their expectations about fantasy, and in a way speaks to the nihilistic, materialistic core of the modern psyche. People read his novels because in some way, we hoped that Martin knew the answer. Martin must have had a solution for the gordian knot of the postmodern crisis.

Instead, he's just as stumped as we are. He CAN'T finish the book, because there is no answer to the problem. The question itself is the incorrect answer to a higher problem, and Martin was false messiah to a generation looking for salvation from their Materialist prison. He was supposed to provide the answer which is why the desperation surrounding the release of his books has reached such a fever pitch--on some level there is more at stake for the Harry Potter generation than merely finding out what Euron Greyjoy's plan is, they need the answer to an impossible question: If we reject all higher notions of good, evil, beauty and truth, how is it possible to have an ending that isn't totally Nietzschean?

It isn't.

>> No.11777719

>>11776799
The books and TV show being as popular as they are, George likely got lazy with all those royalties checks coming in. Why would he be motivated to work anymore when he's already made it? I get it, I'd likely do the same if I ever got royalties for something that became even marginally popular, you'd likely just get lazy but that comfort of financial success allows you to spend more time with your friends, family and even fans too. That stuff takes up time.

I'm sure there's other aspects too, like how the typical process of writing a book is time-consuming anyway, re-writing, re-drafting, making sure it's edited down, etc etc. Some of the Song of Wind and Fire readers I know say he's likely written himself into a corner he can't get out of too. IDK since I don't read these books but they might be right too: if he doesn't know where to go with the series or how to continue/end it, then that'd take time to sort out too.

>> No.11777967

>>11776799
Cause the cunts killed off Stannis in the tv show.
GRRM has written the books, he's just waiting for the show to be done to release those niggers.

>> No.11778279

>>11777353
I guarantee you that fans like you gave this a lot more thought than he ever did. He's being a primadonna about it because he's rich and old enough to not care. Constantly introducing new characters snd subplots that all went nowhere slowly to the already bloated series was an obvious sign that he lost whatever genuine interest he may have had 3 if not 2 and a half books in.

>> No.11778380

>>11777353
>an ending that isn't totally Nietzschean?
What would a Netzschean ending be?