[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 281 KB, 422x674, pnp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1176961 No.1176961 [Reply] [Original]

Why do most women like Pride and Prejudice? Why do most men dislike it?

I'm a guy. I liked the book because it seemed to accurately capture the interactions between characters. One can easily relate to the feelings between the characters even though the setting is a bit exotic. Anyway, tell me your thoughts.

>> No.1176965

Guys tend to like action novels instead of romance ones.

/thread

>> No.1176967

Pride and Prejudice is good, Austen owns! I wish I could get a master list of dope-ass chick lit from all time periods just to troll, I dunno, whoever

>> No.1176969

because you read it when you're in high school (as far as i'm aware), and everyone's opinion on a book depended on someone else's reaction

remember how everyone hated faulkner and everyone loved hemingway?

socially created reactions, for the most part. or maybe you just have a female writer whose perspective resonates with other women?

>> No.1176972

Dude here. I've never understood why most men dislike the book. Everyone complained about it when we read it in high school, but I liked it. Maybe other people liked it but didn't want to admit to it because it's for chicks or something.

>> No.1176978

>>1176969
I disliked both Faulkner and Hemmingway, and the people in my Honors classes hated everything we read except Shakespeare.
And even then, they only liked Romeo and Juliet. Othello, Hamlet and the Merchant of Venice got no love at all.

>> No.1176987

>>1176961
I'm a guy and I've read all of Austin's novels, just because I like works from that period. Pride & Prejudice isn't her best, in my opinion, but it's a good novel. One thing Austin has consistently been praised for over the years is the realistic portrayal of the interactions within her novels, so even if I disagreed with you (I don't), the majority is on your side. I think most of the reason why men don't like Austin is simply because her works are portrayed as romance novels for lonely housewives, which I think mostly stems from (1) the lonely housewives who read her novels and (2) the shitty Austin fanfic explosion that's been going on.

>> No.1177051

i found i could relate to Elizabeth's character well, which was part of the reason i enjoyed it. it's a good social critique of the Victorian period and women's issues.

it's also a pretty funny book, but the humour isn't explicit which throws many people off.

>> No.1177069

because it's fucking boring
I admit it's very well written but the actually story is a snoozefest

just one dude's opinion

>> No.1177084

>>1176987
girls write jane austin fanfics? wtf. it shouldnt surprise me but it does.

>> No.1177158

It's high drama. But still drama. Aka shit women cream their panties over. The bullshit surrounding the romance rather than the romance itself. Well written no doubt but still rather middle-schoolish for my tastes.

>> No.1177162

>>1177158
>Romance is for middle school students. I'm an adult that hasn't had a romance since middle school. I'm so lonely.

>> No.1177184

>>1177084
They make money off of it too. I saw several unique volumes of a "Mrs. Darcy" series or something or other at Borders a while back. It pains me to think that people actually buy that shit (especially since the writing inside was laughably bad imitation of Austen's style), but people buy into worse things, I guess.

>> No.1178250
File: 1.03 MB, 700x930, austenmonstertrucksm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1177184