[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 400x311, HasASad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1174212 No.1174212 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, help me get excited about a career in the humanities.

I'm an English grad who's currently earning teaching certification. I decided to teach public schools for several reasons, but primarily because I want to share something I find beautiful with others and help improve literacy.

Yet, at times, the whole shebang of literary scholarship just seems so... pointless. What purpose do literary criticism and analysis serve, except perhaps as an intellectual exercise for the author? What's the point of high culture? Why strain for the "literary" when most people don't even read novels, never-mind that it's a contentious concept in the first place?

I dunno. I've just spent the last two years taking upper level college courses, sacrificing my free time and social circle, and for what? Is convincing a generation of students who grew up with the internet and iphones that there's power in the written word a lost cause?

I'm just worried I'll inevitably become a bitter old man. :(

>> No.1174217

also, this is fantastic for any other anons in a somber mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INC0In9ZzY

>> No.1174218

>>1174212
WRITE MOTHERFUCKER, OR INSPIRE OTHERS TOO

>> No.1174220

western civilization isn't going to maintain itself.

>> No.1174225

>>1174220
I really wonder when western civilization will destroy itself.

>> No.1174231

>>1174217

Paul Westerberg is such a great lyricist.

>> No.1174233

I'll add, I fear becoming some harmless arbiter of "good taste." Literature is supposed to be so much more than that, but the world moves so fast I'm afraid that's all my students will hear.

>> No.1174237

>>1174233
OP, why is it so important to contribute something substantial to improve society? If you like the idea of instructing others and analyzing literature (or perhaps writing literature) for a living, what's so wrong about living to do what you like?

>> No.1174257

>>1174231
The man's got pipes, too. <3

>>1174237
There's nothing WRONG with that approach, but I feel there's not much right either. I've got some very strong convictions about great books, and feel they're an excellent source of wisdom and insight. By teaching for myself, I'm afraid literature would come off to students as simply more information to regurgitate. Honestly, this is what my undergrad experience has began to turn it into for me.

Great books challenge our perceptions, they bring out our humanity, they wake us up to the world. At least, they did for me as a high school student. More people need to experience that.

>> No.1174262

OP maybe this will help you...it is a story about me

About 6 months ago I barely read books at all and the few I did where non-fiction 'interesting fact' books. But then I decided to give fiction books a go and begun reading a lot of them: usually 1-2 a week. At first it was difficult and had to break through understanding a lot of them but 6 months later on there's been a big change.

I feel more intelligent, more eloquent with a much larger vocabulary (or at least the confidence to attempt words I once wouldn't) and my mind is much more peaceful. For me good books impart some wisdom or knowledge in the reader and often put into words something the reader felt but never understood and now can comprehend thanks to the author.

>> No.1174261

i spend all my time chasing high culture even though i know nobody gives a shit about that stuff anymore. i mean, it would give me a sense of pleasure but it doesn't really help me at all with talking to most people, which is probably the only reason for living. to have friends and be with friends and just chill.

>> No.1174265

>>1174212
dont do something for high culture or any of the reasons you've given. do it because you like it. teaching isnt a bad job. i wasnt a teacher, but in highschool i used to work with children as part of an ROP program. most students dont give a shit about the different topics, but there are a few students who do, and these will be more than enough to make you happy with your work.

>> No.1174281

>>1174257
I'm not asking about your teaching approach. I'm saying, if you want to open students' minds and whatnot, do that. Don't worry about whether your work is a "lost cause", and don't worry about whether your students really absorb it. Do what you need to do, because that's about all you can.

>> No.1174282

Don't teach literature, teach ESOL. Much more useful, and who knows, after they know the language they might explore the literature.

>> No.1174516

bump

>> No.1174529

you must reject utilitarianism and become an aesthete

>> No.1174671

Op, not only is literature pointless, but life is also. Just do whatever makes you happy and don't give a fuck. Teaching overstimulated youth to find meaning and importance in humanities is going to be near impossible, but if you want to do it, try hard and don't worry about the result.
Things will always work out the way they are meant to be.

>> No.1174677

It's fun.

>> No.1175551

>Things will always work out the way they are meant to be.

I've always found this a poor approach to life. It seems like a way to justify not putting forth your best effort.

Also, I'm curious how many people here think there actually is "meaning and importance" in the humanities?