[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 75 KB, 750x1000, w9ojaksmiking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11738209 No.11738209 [Reply] [Original]

How do you deal with the issue of ageing as a writer?

Not in the book itself, but in your own life. Whenever I read about a writer receiving great praise despite being like 25 - 27, I feel upset that I haven't published anything yet despite being the same age. I mean most writers of any value were published by 30 at the very latest, and yet that age is fast approaching with nothing to show for it. Recently I've had to accept that the "burning desire" to write is not as present in me as I once suspected.

>> No.11738240

I've never really set goals for myself. I'm consistently interested in my current project but, at best, I'm looking at finishing it in something like the next five to ten years. I'm 30 years old and I've been working on it for a couple of years already.
The only aspect of aging I've noticed is that my values and outlooks change, which obviously influences the things I'm apt to write about. I also notice that my older work was somewhat more imaginative. I think my writing overall has improved but my style has become more dry.

>> No.11738257

>>11738240
Damn that's depressing. What if you jump the shark before you even get your name in print?

>> No.11738315

>>11738257
I just don't care. I write first and foremost for my own satisfaction, and I have that. To be honest, a more serious writer would be better for what you're looking for in this thread.

>> No.11738407

>>11738240
Real writer.

>>11738209
Fake writer.

>> No.11738442

>>11738209
30s is the age when serious writers start producing bodies of work. So depending on where you are, you might need to pick up the pace. I'm behind the curve personally (32 yo boomer), but I can blame this partially on the fact I'm coming off of another career entirely.

It's also true that there are no great novelists who produce their greatest works in their 20s. It's almost always in their 30s and above. Poetry is the opposite. Most great poets produce their greatest works in their 20s and below.

>burning desire
My desire has only intensified over the years. Perhaps you need to take a step away from writing for a bit? Explore what interests you and come back to writing when you find it more meaningful.

>> No.11738443

How do you deal with the issue of ageing?

>> No.11739266

Famous people come in two forms: prodogies and the persistent. Some people get lucky and their first novel or album gets critical praise, but the rest of us have to keep creating, which increases your chance of success. Don't give up anon.

>> No.11739273

I wrote three novels no one read already. I'm banking on writing a few more and being "discovered" posthumously in a few decades.