[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 40 KB, 435x290, keats-2-435x290.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11728038 No.11728038 [Reply] [Original]

Ah, a poet?

I’m sure you’re familiar with these guys:

>Becquer?
>John of the Cross?
>Mandelstam?
>Gumilyov?
>Longley?
>Durken?
>Ady?
>Ballask?i
>Cats?
>Bredero?
>Mullisch? ?
>Reve?
>Vercelli (in Northumbrian, of course?)
>Schiller?
>von Kleist?
>Bunin?
>Hoch?
>Nicarcus?
>Oppian?
>Sappho?
>Lesches?
>Blacklock?
>H. E. Bates?
>L. S. Bevington?
>Ikkyu?

>> No.11728046

One night . . . a pitiful -looking skeleton appeared and said these words:

A melancholy autumn wind
Blows through the world;
The pampas grass waves,
As we drift to the moor,
Drift to the sea.

What can be done
With the mind of a man
That should be clear
But though he is dressed up in a monk’s robe,
Just lets life pass him by?

-Ikkyu

>> No.11728054

>>11728038
I don't read poetry

>> No.11728055

>>11728038
>>11728046
Nah I don't know these guys but maybe you'll be familiar with this
>turns around and farts in your face

>> No.11728061

Ikkyu may have been mischievous, but even as a teenager he was deadly serious about Zen. When Ikkyu was fifteen, he overheard the sub-abbot boasting about his family background and important connections. “Filled with shame,” Ikkyu abandoned Ankoko-ji and went to train under Ken’o, an eccentric old-time master who lived in a shack in the hills.

As a poet, Ikkyu was at his finest when writing about what he loved most: the unfettered Zen life and the joys of sexual intimacy.
Ikkyu remained with Ken’o until the master’s death, in 1414. Despondent, the troubled Ikkyu contemplated suicide for a time and then sought admission to the community of monks training with Kaso, another no-nonsense Zen master of the old school. The regimen at Kaso’s retreat consisted of heavy work, meager food, little sleep and endless hours of meditation.

>> No.11728344

>>11728055
nice

>> No.11728362

>>11728038

Heh, nice namedropping for an undergrad, but if you want to hit the big leagues you'll have to tackle the big fish

>Morrison
>Zimmerman
>Smith
>Cave
>Casablancas
>Cobain
>Buckley
>Pop
>Springsteen

Come back when you've dip youre toe in the real canon lad

>> No.11728363

>>11728038
no and I can't say I care too know any of these people. People should not be reading poetry in translations unless it long poem with long spanning plot like epic poem.