[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 620x330, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11722264 No.11722264 [Reply] [Original]

The dying Socrates.
>I admire the courage and wisdom of Socrates in
everything he did, said - and did not say. This mocking, love-sick
monster and pied piper of Athens, who made the most audacious youths
of Athens tremble and sob, was not only the wisest chatterer of all time;
he was equally great in silence. I wish he had remained silent also in the last moments of his lif e - per haps he would then belong to a still
higher order of minds. Whether it was death or the poison or piety or
malice - something loosened his tongue and he said: 'O Crito, I owe
Asclepius a rooster.' This ridiculous and terrible 'last word' means for
those who have ears: 'O Crito, lift is a disease.'31 Is it possible that a
man like him, who had lived cheerfully and like a soldier in plain view
of everyone, was a pessimist? He had merely kept a cheerful demeanour
while all his life hiding his ultimate judgement, his inmost
feeling! Socrates, Socrates suffered from lift! And then he still avenged
himself - with this veiled, gruesome, pious, and blasphemous saying.
Did a Socrates really need revenge? Was there one ounce too little
magnanimity in his overabundant virtue? - 0 friends! We must
overcome even the Greeks!

How is he prescribing such meaning to Socrates last words ?

>> No.11722305

>>11722264
>Why am I so clever

>> No.11722318
File: 6 KB, 225x225, 0zz00456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11722264
>0 friends!

I fucking know that feel

>> No.11722327

>How is he prescribing such meaning to Socrates last words ?
Because you're on 4chan

>> No.11722366

>>11722264
this one is a bit better formatted

The Dying Socrates. I admire the courage and wisdom of Socrates in all that he did, said and did not say. This mocking and amorous demon and rat catcher of Athens, who made the most* insolent youths tremble and sob, was not only the wisest babbler that has ever lived, but was just as great in his silence. I would that he had also been silent in the last moment of his life, perhaps he might then have belonged to a still higher order of intellects. Whether it was death, or the poison, or piety, or wickedness something or other loosened his tongue at that moment, and he said: "O Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepios." For him who has ears, this ludicrous and terrible "last word" implies: "O Crito, life is a long sickness!" Is it possible! A man like him, who had lived cheerfully and to all appearance as a soldier, was a pessimist! He had merely put on a good demeanour towards life, and had all along concealed his ultimate judgment, his profoundest sentiment! Socrates, Socrates had suffered from life! And he also took his revenge for it with that veiled, fearful, pious, and blasphemous phrase! Had even a Socrates to revenge himself? Was there a grain too little of magnanimity in his superabundant virtue? Ah, my friends! We must surpass even the Greeks!

>> No.11723252

>>11722264
>>11722366
Asclepius is the god of healing. If Socrates said that he owed that god something while on his deathbed, it means he considers his death a blessing, a healing from what is a sickness to him (life). Nietzsche came to the conclusion that Socrates suffered life.

>> No.11723659

>>11723252
Not necessarily. Maybe he was thanking the god for giving him the opportunity to live completely authentically, and give meaning to his philosophy forever. Would we still be studying Socrates hundreds of years after his death if it hadn't happened the way it did?

He's trying to implicate Socrates in the reason why christianity was the way it was (as he saw it), aaannndddd.... well, it didnt convince me.

Just saying there could be a lot of interpretations.

>> No.11723668

He suffered from intense intellectual diarrhea.

>> No.11723684

nietzsche buggered other philosophers as much as deleuze

>> No.11723687

>>11723659
>Just saying there could be a lot of interpretations.

That’s N.’s point, and he explicitly tells the reader his worldview is choosing the interpretations which further his will to power the most. Even besides that, N.’s interpretation seems valid and probable.

>> No.11723745
File: 2.17 MB, 1872x1090, 1381779196674.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11722264
Why does Socrates hating lifting? Isn't it the best way to build muscle mass?