[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 120 KB, 659x1024, Ernst-Jünger-1-1-659x1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11708533 No.11708533 [Reply] [Original]

What's /lit/'s opinion on Ernst Jünger's ww1 autobiography "Storm of Steel"? Personally it's one of my favourite books and I'd love to hear your guys opinion on the book

>> No.11708541 [DELETED] 

>>11708533
alt right incel cringe

>> No.11708622

>>11708541
Have you ever read the book?

>> No.11708955

Does anyone have a good chart for Jünger?
I have read In Stahlgewittern and Gärten und Straßen now, Auf den Marmorklippen next. Recommendations for good german editions would be welcome.

>> No.11709021

>>11708541
Jesus Christ, read his later work.

>> No.11709029

>>11708955
Doubtful. It seems he is not read as much, and quite poorly understood when he is read. Not to mention that some of his best works aren't even available in English.
Are you just reading the literature, or philosophy as well?
Are

>> No.11709189

>>11709029
Also interested in the philosophy, I will probably start with "Der Arbeiter".

>> No.11709190

Special war memoir by a man in it for himself and understanding rather than a nation and people. He honestly seemed to be a danger to his squad rather than a good leader.
Much of his work isn’t translated and I haven’t read too much of him, only 3 works but his philosophy is simply put authoritarian individualism seeing a need for a government and a collective but wanting to seek yourself and be one surrounded by a group, he lived life to the fullest. He seems like a less autistic Stirner.
Nazis liked him and now neo nazis too apparently wanting to seem well read but he dismissed them and you get people like the first replier that don’t read, and neo nazis that don’t understand him.

>> No.11709364

>>11708955
This, a chart even just as a text post please. i started with “Auf den Marmorklippen” and only finished it a couple hourse ago.
I am still uncertain what to make of it but I have a strong feeling I will want to read more of him.

>> No.11709611

make this a general Jünger discussion thread

>> No.11710142

>Junger thread
https://mega.nz/#!0BEHwbDA!rZfwwBV71yUdlX3J4KByXmudYGXI3HHQW6KGcNqhbY0

Here's a mega link with just about every digital publication of his works I was able to find. Most of it is in English, but there's also translations in Dutch/Spanish/French and, of course, the original German.

I recommend reading the forest passage and Eumeswil.

>> No.11710276

>>11710142
are you the “i don’t like jünger threads cause /pol/ hijacks them” guy?
If yes (or even no), since you might possible be very well versed in him could you conpile a quick order of reading as in charts usually are done here, please?
>I started with Marmorklippen but doesn’t mean the list has to start with that

>> No.11710288

>>11708533
This book is mentiones in By Night in Chile.

>> No.11710289

>>11708533
>Not actually a storm of steel
>no convection occurs, converting steel in the form of vapor to liquid steel precipitation once it hits the dew point of steel
>frontogensis occurs, but only on ground level in the form of trenches, not throughout the atmospheric column, and the fronts involved are not temperature gradients
>has essentially nothing to do with the process of cyclogenesis
I was lied to, bamboozled, and generally dissapointed with this book that has nothing to do with storms or meteorology involving steel

>> No.11710313

>>11710276
>are you the “i don’t like jünger threads cause /pol/ hijacks them” guy?

No, I'm not that anon, but let's be honest, /pol/ hijacks everything. If you'd like, I can make a chart of his works.

>> No.11710316

While I work on the chart, here's a nice documentary on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ju5HFoD20U

>> No.11710375
File: 111 KB, 650x434, 1521343924449.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11708541
>Join French Foreign Legion in 1913
>Desert to join German Army in 1914
>Shoot, stab, and destroy your way through 4 years of war. Volunteer for dangerous assignments because you fucking love it
>Get shot in lung, pass out, come to only to see your mates surrendering in the trench a few feet away from you. Don't give a shit, take out your pistol and start shooting while your chest is leaking. Somehow survive
>Be hard drinker, hard smoker, visit lots of prostitutes
>Attempt to kill Hitler multiple times, don't give a shit about the repercussions
>Get really into LSD and weed in the 60s
>Die two months short of your 103rd birthday

This man lived life to the extreme. Most other people live life in moderation and still die 20 years before Ernst. Ernst is one of the most based (and redpilled) men of the 20th century

>> No.11710437

>>11710316
Is that really the personal favorite? or is there pne in german perhaps since I’d assume they’d have something decent on such a significant and famous Landsmann

>> No.11710506

>>11710375
Jesus.
How is it even possible to be so hardcore?

>> No.11710660
File: 1.95 MB, 7664x3552, Ernst Junger guide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11710437
As far as I know, there IS one German interview they did, but I'd have to run around and look for it. There was a french production that took footage from Occupied France in WWII and narrated his journal entries from that time.

>>11710375
>attempt to kill Hitler multiple times
He was on the fringes of these plots. He knew of them, but only actively ignored them from my understanding.
Anyway, anons, I'm having trouble collecting my thoughts on this fascinating author. I should've probably just gone with a flow-chart instead of the summary I made, but fuck it.

It's really hard to explain him in a concise manner. All I can really suggest is start with the forest passage and eumeswil since I consider the figure of the Anarch to his crowning literary achievement.

>> No.11710662

>>11708533
Traitor to the Third Reich.

HH

>> No.11710665

>>11708541
the guy wasn't a fan of ol adolf.

>> No.11710673

>>11710662
Good, the third reich was legit retarded. They took literally the worst paths they could have in trying to fix their problems

>> No.11710676

>>11710660
I'll try to make a complete version tomorrow, in the mean time, I'll link to various places that talk about him more in depth.

http://www.ernst-juenger.org/
https://en.rightpedia.info/w/Ernst_J%C3%BCnger
https://thedisorderofthings.com/2013/10/28/ernst-junger-on-total-mobilisation-in-the-age-of-the-worker/
http://www.renegadetribune.com/ernst-junger-aryan-warrior/
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/clives_lives/2007/02/ernst_jnger.single.html

His obituary in the New York Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/18/arts/ernst-junger-contradictory-german-author-who-wrote-about-war-is-dead-at-102.html

>> No.11710721
File: 571 KB, 865x1600, 1532138619636.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Met with Celine in occupied Paris in 1940s
>Disliked him greatly

>> No.11710742

>>11710660
that’s dope. Don’t knownif inlike the greentexts but you doing more than sinple flowchart is actually cool. I can try and make the flow bit more appraling looking when I get back on my PC tomorrow.
Thanks!

>> No.11711232

b

>> No.11712795

>>11709364
>>11708955
I'm English-only, but this is what I would recommend.
Junger had a very ordered character and was also quite in tune with the lessons of fate, so I think reading him in order makes a lot of sense. It generally does, but in particular for him. At ninety, when asked of his youth, he said that although he did not see war in the same light the intensity of that era revealed a particular character in himself - and, of course, he still felt a particular closeness with and gratitude for that 'young boy'. This speaks to our eternal nature, and the almost theological sense in which Junger lived in this world. The war was not merely an experience for him, but an unfolding in which he lived and brought forth his true being.
"The Details of Time" is probably the only caveat I would add to reading in order. It is a brilliant discussion, and in many ways captures the century and a man of the 19th century living through the 20th. The book also gives you a general overview of his ideas, what he explores in his works, and so could be a help if there are some things you want to focus on. However, this also reveals various insights and regrets which could distort your reading, free of his hindsight.
With that said, readings based on what I think are his most important works (generally in order):
Storm of Steel
His Trilogy:
Total Mobilization
The Worker
On Pain
The Adventurous Heart
On the Marble Cliffs
Gardens and Streets (not in English)
The Peace
The Forest Passage
Heliopolis (not in English, and not in order, explained below)
The Glass Bees
Types and Figures (not in English)
Eumeswil
Aladdin's Problem
A Dangerous Encounter
The Details of Time

A few other caveats, as far as I am aware "Heliopolis" is not available in English, although I have heard of a small edition which seems impossible to find. You could potentially read "The Forest Passage" after his trilogy, and add in his correspondance with Heidegger if you are focusing on his philosophy. And if you wanted to focus on literature you may want to read "On the Marble Cliffs", "Heliopolis", and "Eumeswil" together, as they are as close as you can get to a trilogy. In any case, they fit well together.
One could also focus on his war writings. "Sturm" and "Copse 125" provide different perspectives and are focused on particular aspects of the war. And his essays of the 1920s are very much dedicated to war analysis (not in English), so one could learn quite a bit concerning WWI and the development of the Second World War through his writings. His entire war diaries, from both wars, are also available in German.

>> No.11712825

>>11710289
Unfunny, go back

>> No.11712868
File: 590 KB, 640x628, 6DCDB678-0955-4C4F-B116-D8EB4D3DC10A.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ywn live in the timeline where Hitler got Lincoln’d by the Wehrmacht and Jünger became the president of a conservative, nationalist, democratic and pan-European focused Germany, creating a bulwark against Bolshevism and an alternative to ultra-liberalism

Why must we suffer for the sins of those who Power forsook

>> No.11712872

>>11710721
Lmfao
Probably thought he was a coward

>> No.11712880
File: 1.53 MB, 4160x2340, bullcuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11710662
>At the German Cultural Institute. Among others, Celine, tall, bony, rather heavy, but alert in discussion - rather, in monologue. He's astonished that we, soldiers, do not shoot, hang, exterminate Jews. "If Bolsheviks were in Paris you would see..." I learned something from his monologue. He made clear the monstrous power of Nihilism. When such people speak of biology it's just a means to kill others.

>Since insane people are sterilized and killed the newly-borns with metal disturbances have multiplied. Even with the repression of mendicity poorness has become general. The decimation of Jews has diffused Jewish features in everybody. Killing does not wipe out types, it rather frees them.
>Feast for lemurs with the massacre of men, women, and children. The hideous booty is buried. Then other lemurs come to unbury it. They film those chipped, half-rotten trunks with repulsive satisfaction. Then they show each other their films. Curious forms of life fester on carrion.

>If everything went wrong, conservative forces are to blame. German youth had no instinct. Hitler addressed boys "hard as iron", "resilient as leather", "quick as hounds"... They were his chosen supporters, a breed of men to be eventually mass-produced in foundries and tanneries using animal sperm.

Third Reich eternally BTFO.

>> No.11713822

>>11712795
This is a great summary of Junger. I would also highly recommend The Details of Time as well as a biography of his: Ernst Junger - A Portrait by Lennart Svensson if you want to learn more about his life.

>A few other caveats, as far as I am aware "Heliopolis" is not available in English, although I have heard of a small edition which seems impossible to find.
In the mega link I posted, I have two .pdfs of Heliopolis, one in Dutch and one in Spanish. I've yet to find a German original, let alone an English copy.

>>11712880
More than anything else, Junger was rather crushed after seeing how effectively people were utilizing science and technology to carry out horrendous deeds. In The Worker, he wished to see a more complete synthesis between man and machine, a graduation from the machinations of war to the machinations of work. But after the events of the second world war, he was forced to examine the times from a different angle.

>> No.11714108

>>11708541
Um.... no.

>> No.11714190

>>11710721
Celine isn't a very likeable guy desu

>> No.11714601

>>11712868
Why live?

>> No.11714873
File: 144 KB, 1080x1080, 1534652277885.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11712795
>The war was not merely an experience for him, but an unfolding in which he lived and brought forth his true being.

I have a fear of missing out when I read something like this. A lifetime of staring at a computer monitor will never bring forth any true being.

>> No.11714966

>>11714873
So stop right now and go forth and live. For what it is worth: I, and all the men in my family, are combat veterans, and we have a much different view on war than Ernst did. He had a brain that really worked a certain way

>> No.11714974

>>11714873
He said that he was reading Tristram Shandy during Guillemont (I think that was the battle, the legendary battle of the Germans for that war, and one of the greatest in history) and he was more captivated by that than anything else in the war.
But I can imagine the conditions also amplify your experience of the reading, and no doubt in war your senses can be heightened to what you perceive. Although I certainly don't intend to read over him.

>> No.11714990

>>11714966
The wars were also very different. I mean, a single battle could see as many as all of the US Vietnam casualties combined.
The wars aren't really even comparable, no offense intended.

>> No.11714995

>>11714873
Then put down the computer, pick up some weights and join the FFL. You're basically guaranteed to see combat there provided you can get in.

Make sure to burn all your bridges and get a couple of misdemeanour convictions so they're sure you won't desert.

>> No.11715014

>>11714990
I'm not offended at all. I am a vet of Iraq/Afghanistan, my father Army SF in Vietnam, his dad was an artillery spotter in ww2, and his dad was a doughboy in ww1. I never talked to my great grandma, but me, my dad, and my grandfather all had similar views, as have most other combat vets I've talked to. War sucks a big fat dick, and it definitely has its moments, but by and large it really fucking sucks. I think it helped me in some ways, but I could have gotten that education in other ways, with far less consequences. Ernst seems to think every young man should go through that crucible, and I heavily disagree

I know this is kind of rambling, but I've never really put my thoughts on this down before.

>> No.11715018

i tried reading that scifi north african one but it was just boring polemic

>> No.11715066

>>11710660
Mate can you explain what the difference between the Eumeswil group and Glass bees group is?
And write some proper versions of your green texts

>> No.11715133

>>11715014
Obviously this will sound like an idiotic question to you, but what do you perceive in war that makes it so awful?
In my own sheltered life, I can conceptually understand the suffering and pain of combatants, but I can’t help but wonder how actual soldiers feel about it.
And please do ramble on. Or not, if you aren’t comfortable talking about this

>> No.11715156
File: 2.63 MB, 7664x3552, 1535689375349neu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>test
help complete and suggestions appreciated

>> No.11715307
File: 634 KB, 2048x1536, 8MzDDEO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11715133
I'm okay with it - the more I talk about it (I got out in 2012) the less emotional it is to me, and I can view it from a more distant place. What makes it so awful is that everything hurts, all the time. Your back, your arms, your shoulders, your feet, your knees, your lungs. Seeing the misery all around you. Whether it is your comrades who get wounded, or children looking for parents that you know are gone. Towns that are obliterated. The fear is miserable as well. I used to throw up before patrols from fear.- I was fine after I threw up (lol, who am I kidding? I was still scared shitless, but I never let fear stop me from doing my job)

Ironically, killing is the easy part. I'm going to very frank. I shot 2 people in Iraq. The first person, I didn't even see, we came under fire and I wasn't sure what everyone was shooting at (most of the time, you really don't see the enemy, even in combat) I just started shooting in the same direction everyone else was, I picked a bush and aimed for it. Apparantly someone ws behind the bush and everyone thought I was a great shot and was laughing about how I got him. I feel really unattached to that one and I rarely think about it.

The second person was in a building, and I remember all sorts of random shit from that encounter that doesn't matter, like that it was before we had telescoping stocks on our rifles, so we used to put the butt over our shoulder (otherwise the rifle stuck out too far and you couldn't hold it properly). Anyways, right before I saw the dude (he had a mustached, maybe 45ish) time slowed way down, I saw him and put 5 in his chest and he was dead before he hit the ground. It felt like I had just had an orgasm while scoring a touchdown at the superbowl - never felt anything as amazing since then. I yelled out "YEAH SUCKA!!" which was weird because I'm a suburban white kid from California and I never speak like that. I was in one room and the guy was in the next, we couldn't have been more than 15 feet away from eachother when it happened. My squad leader yelled "GOOD FUCKING HIT" and started slapping the back of my helmet. I still don't really care about that mustache man except for a very rare occasion I think about whether he had a family (probably) I still don't care much. I think the twist, contrary to what a lot of modern movies will tell you, is that soldiers in combat generally don't feel bad about destroying the enemy. Maybe it is a race/tribal thing? I don't know.

There is just misery everywhere in a war zone and the feeling in the air is palpable. When shit pops off, most of the time there is no warning. IT goes from totally calm, to the third humvee in your patrol just blew up, the doors were welded shut from the heat, and everyone inside burned to death inside with no way to get them. IT's all very fucked up, and WW1 must have been 10,000x worse than anything I ever saw or experienced

>> No.11715323

>>11715307
What's the worst you felt during your time?

>> No.11715337

>>11715323
I don't know man

>> No.11715360

>>11715337
Is there anything you liked about it that civilian life doesn't have?

>> No.11715371

>>11715360
>>11715337
>>>/soc/
please fuck off with this before you make m*ds delete a Jünger thread for your off topic posting.

>> No.11715387

>>11715360
Yes. I really liked having a job that was clear cut. With clear cut goals, and clear cut skills that you get fantastic at after practicing so much. The civilian world really does not have that and it is more of a freefall. Gotta make your own way, gotta find employment, play the game and get better jobs, get promoted, etc.

I actually just got a job at a new firm today in a very competitive field, with a big pay bump and a big rise in the quality of clientele, so I'm really excited. But there were definitely hard moments in the past where you don't know where you are going or if it will work out or what - that feeling never existed in the military. I miss the simplicity sometimes

Also, the camaraderie was second to none. My best friends ever, and we share a bond tighter than anything else.

Also, I guess I miss that adrenaline rush sometimes. That's a weird one, because I miss the excitement, but not the fear, although both came together as a package.

>> No.11715390

>>11715371
Alright, mate. I'll stop answering the questions, I don't want the thread to be deleted. Sorry mods - I'll cool it

>> No.11715428

>>11715387
Yeah dude i totally agree. I just recently got a job working for some greasy spics at an insurwnce company. These fucking beaners smoke weed all day and i join them for some beers after work. We barely do anything but ir’s a FUCKING blast. Me and these dirty border hoppers have really grown close lately and I thank god every day i got fired by that fat, racist nasty piece of shit puerto rican at the car dealership. It happened because i got the shit beat out of me by these white kids, construction workers who whistled at my girl. I barely complained before they fuckin jumped me. Fuck that guy and fuck the dealership. I’m just trying to stay positive. Good luck with your future endeavors.

>> No.11715436

This is nothing but a comment of self pity, but as I read Storm of Steel I cannot help but compare what kind of man Ernst was when he was 19 to the kind of man I was at that age and feel ashamed.

>> No.11715450

>>11715156
get rid of the pretentious german titles if its going to be a chart with directions written in english

add The Adventurous Heart and his WWII diaries, as well as Heliopolis and the Schmitt-Junger correspondence (the last three will almost never be available in an english translation) and Approaches and Visit to Godenholm (dude LSD lmao)

>> No.11715596
File: 6 KB, 250x153, HVIG3386.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.11715769

b

>> No.11715987

>>11715450
>the last three will almost never be available in an english translation
not if i can help it

>> No.11716022

>>11715450
>>11715987
If there is any Germanon willing to translate, please do the diaries first.

>> No.11716861

>>11715156
Looks very good. I’d keep the German covers since they look much better but change the titles to English on the side.

>> No.11717218
File: 1.16 MB, 250x250, kys tbh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11708541
Good lord you imbecile. Why do pester ever fucking /lit/ thread without being able to even form an coherent sentance? Let alone having something to contribute?

>> No.11717227

>>11708533
>nobody mentions der waldgang
It was breddy good.

>> No.11717627

>>11716861
when I get back ill get rid of the left side, make the few changes like bames to english and then have that be the “chart”. but any better suggestions for the green parts? (from anybody now)

>> No.11717782

>>11716022
WWII diaries already translated and being published next year.
Heliopolis would be a nice project.

>> No.11717816

>>11708541
>>11708533
On the Marble Cliffs is the anti alt-right you fucking monkey

>> No.11717824

>>11712795
The Adventurous Heart was bad compared to Glass Bees, Marble Cliffs, Eumswil. Storm of Steel is so different from everything else i cant really comment

>> No.11718173
File: 1.99 MB, 3730x3527, Jünger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11715450
>>11716861
Ecce Jünger

>> No.11718185

>>11710289
Kys

>> No.11718208

>>11708533
I'm not /lit/ but I loved the book. Just the right amount of sentimentality for me, doesn't touch the larger politics, perfect. He was a man's man.

>> No.11718481

>>11717782
Source? I've got them in french and they're great and I'm glad they'll get an english translation.

>> No.11719281

bb

>> No.11719967

schmitt better

>> No.11720019

>>11708533
i really like Jünger both his books and his essays. a very interesting person. storm of steel shook me for being so different from other ww1 books i had read.

>> No.11720219
File: 223 KB, 1178x378, InSteelStorms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]