[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 400x390, hamlet_2006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1170826 No.1170826 [Reply] [Original]

Working on an essay about Hamlet, where we analyze a quote, autonomously and in larger context of the play.

I have Polonius's line of "The apparel oft proclaims the man"

Thesis: Shakespeare shows relationship between inner/outer image throughout the play

support:
Ghost in full armor (represents revenge, violence)
Hamlet in full black (shows his inner turmoil)
Hamlet approaches his mom while she is in the changing room (to get her to speak honestly, no clothes=no mask)
Actors perform Hamlet's feelings more dramatically than he does, he sees this and uses appearances to manipulate people later in play

overall the essay is how Shakespeare uses imagery to convey emotions/inner feeling

any other supporting evidence? I have four pages but I'd like to extend it

>> No.1170832

bump

>> No.1170833

Do your own homework.

>> No.1170834
File: 53 KB, 1273x589, MEBEINGANINTELLECTUAL.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1170826
Okay, first of all, please read my image. I cannot stand "quote" being used as a noun.

Shakespeare often used Anglo-Saxon themes in his work. Much of the Anglo-Saxon culture was interpolated by Christianity around 597 (resulting in a resurrection of neoplatonism).

One major medieval theme is physiognomy. Shake's explicitly makes use of this theme; an Elizabethan spin, however, has been put on the ball. That part is for you to figure out.

Physiognomy.

>> No.1170843

>>1170834
that's amazing, thank you
>>1170833
piss off

>> No.1170871

Fuckin' Tripfags how do they work?

Oh wait, in this case they just get others to do it for them.

>> No.1170878

Why not take it one step further and not just write about what Shakespeare does with the clothes but how they work on us all?
You kind of imply this with the example of hamlet's mom.
Write about how we use clothes to strenghten character traits in ourselves/build defenses for our privacy (both literal and in general).
Blabla yadda yadda