[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 470 KB, 994x768, 1534804879175.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11697849 No.11697849 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone know of any good books on how to separate classics from shallower works? Or how to develop an aesthetic sensibility? Even something on "how to read the classics". I'm looking for something to help with my reading of the classics and to provide further justification and thus motivation for continuing.

>> No.11697907

Or would such a book be like trying to explain to a blind man the beauty of Gothic cathedral when compared to a standard shopping mall?

>> No.11698216

>Does anyone know of any good books on how to separate classics from shallower works?
The classics are mainly defined by their long-term cultural impact. A good book does not have to be a classic.
>Or how to develop an aesthetic sensibility? Even something on "how to read the classics".
Read carefully, read criticism, read analyses, read theory, and then read more. There is no simple key to reading. I've been reading actively for over five years and I still find texts that subvert my expectations and demand I read better. All one can do is read with maximum possible attention and thought, really.
>to provide further justification
They're great books, and if you want to read great books, I recommend reading the classics, among other texts.