[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 220x285, PKD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11686260 No.11686260 [Reply] [Original]

This is ideal writer.
You may not like him, but this is what peak creativity looks like.

>> No.11686264

deleuze had a beard era?

>> No.11686272

>>11686260
I agree. When I think of creativity, I always imagine a madman who writes sci-fi or fantasy.

>> No.11686942

>>11686272
when i think of productivity, i imagine some of his insane, methamphetamine-fueled run-on paragraphs about nothing in particular, liberally peppered with Germanic philosophy terms.

> Zoob of Endko

>> No.11686947
File: 272 KB, 248x459, 1535314458061.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11686260
This is ideal philosopher
You may not like him, but this is what peak creativity looks like.

>> No.11686950

>>11686260
Most of the movies made from his writings take the general setting, characters, and science-fictional premise of the written work, and then go off in another direction with them.
There's a reason for this.

>> No.11686953

Don't bully Phil, he had a hard life ;_;

>> No.11686958

>>11686260
The thought, theoretical as it was, chilled him as he involuntarily, without the possibility of evasion, listened to the curious mixture of nonsense and—meaning. Of the highest order.
“. . . I think, though, I see why Zoobko lards, butters, marginates and otherwise fattens up the word ‘spore’ into the rather sinister male spore slogan. Their house brochure in Move-E 3-D kul-R is directed (heh-heh) at women consumers, to fumble lewdly a metaphor, ahem, no offense meant (gak). More fully articulated, it would read, ‘The male spore, my dears, is as we well know tireless in its half-crazed struggle—against all sanity and moral restraint— to reach the female egg. That’s the way men are. Right? We all realize it. Give a male (sic) spore half an inch and he’ll take seventy-two-and-a-sixth miles. BE PREPARED! ALWAYS READY! A HUGE, SLIMY, SLANT-EYED YELLOW-SKINNED MALE SPORE MAY BE WATCHING YOU THIS VERY MINUTE! And, considering his almost demonic ability to wiggle for miles upon miles, you may at this moment be in dire, severe danger! To quote Dry-den: ‘The trumpet’s loud clamor doth call us to arms,’ etc. (And don’t forget, ladies, the handsome prize awarded yearly by Zoobko Products, Incorporated for the greatest number of dead male (sic) spores mailed (pun) to our Callisto factory in an old Irish linen pillow case, attesting to (one) your tenacity in balking the evil damned things and (two) the fact that you’re buying our lather-like goo in one-hundred-pound squirt cans. Also remember: if you are unable to adequately prepare yourself with a generous, expensive portion of Zoobko patented goo in the proper place, ahem, in advance of marital lawful pawing, then merely squirt the spray can with nozzle directed directly into the grimacing fungiform’s ugly face as it hovers six feet high in the air above you. Best range—”
“Best range,” Gregory Gloch said aloud, against the din of the obsessive noise in his ears, “approximately two inches.”
“—‘two inches,’ ” the tinny, mechanical racket reeled off, accompanying him, “ ‘from his eyes. Zoobko’s patented goo is not only—’ ”
“—‘a top-drawer killer of male spores,’ ” Gloch murmured, “ ‘but it also blasts the tear-ducts out of existence. Too bad, fella.’ ” End brochure, he thought. End monolog. End sex. End of Zoobko, or zoob of Endko. Is this an ad or a contemplation of a squandered life? Check one. I know this discourse, he thought. By heart. Why? How? It’s as if, he thought, I said it; as if it’s happening inside my brain—not coming to me from the outside. What does this mean? I have to know.

>> No.11686962

>>11686942
That's all I've ever wanted. But, I hate amphetamines.

>> No.11686964

>>11686950
Yeah, because film and literature are different mediums and a good book does not necessarily make a good movie.

>> No.11686974

>>11686950

>and then go off in another direction with them

No they don't. The most popular movies based off his books like Total Recall and Blade Runner go in the same direction both in themes and narrative.

>> No.11686984

Test

>> No.11687008

>>11686974
Huh?
The first 30 minutes of Total Recall are more or less the same as the first 2/3 of We Can Remember It for You Wholesale. Then Total Recall goes in a completely different direction than the story, for the rest of the movie.
The general idea of a cop killing robots that are illegally on earth is common to Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. But the book is about empathy with animals and other humans, and how humans have such empathy and robots don't. The movie is about how even robots are worthy of human empathy.

>> No.11687028

>>11687008

>But the book is about empathy with animals and other humans
No
>The movie is about how even robots are worthy of human empathy
No

You're a brainlet that takes everything at face value, unable to pick up on even the most obvious nuances. For your own sake never offer your opinions on literature and film again, even anonymously.

>> No.11687065

>Read Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep
>Think its gonna be about androids and what it means to be human.
>It's actually about a guy who wants an electric sheep.
I suppose I should've seen this coming.

>> No.11687095

>>11687028
OK professor, you give me your take on how Blade Runner and DADOES "go in the same direction both in themes and narrative". Please include discussion of
- Ownership of real and robot animals
- Mercerism
- Empathy for murdered robots
- Deckard's wife Iran
- Rachel

>> No.11687102

>>11687065
We must have read different books.

>> No.11687126

>>11686942
>>11686958
I've read about 5 of his books. Haven't heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. For some reason, nonsensical ramblings of amphetamine addicts has been a theme around here, lately. I like it.

>> No.11687688

Yeah man Dan Harmon is great.