[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 500x351, isthisreallife.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1166480 No.1166480 [Reply] [Original]

How can I comprehend something I just read better? I have to summarize a article I read for class, and I have no idea where to start. I know its about some guy who had polio, and he did a lot of pushups, and dips and shit, and now has a family, but idk what was the point of it.

Please help me understand, reading better. This always happens when I read something I'm not interested in.

>> No.1166536

:(

>> No.1166542

look for a point in the story where something changes. Was the dude feeling down and about to give up and then started making something of himself?

If you can find a change, you can usually find the thrust of the writing.

>> No.1166563

You have to take a theme from it. Some prominent idea or statement the author wants you to 'learn'. If you have to summarize then there's no need to comprehend better- you just reword and condense it. Like you just did.

>> No.1166595

It depends on what you're reading. If it's something more of an academic flavor with a lot of information jump around through it the first time you go through it. Discovery should be the main goal of a first reading. You'll remember a lot more sorting the information yourself and you'll have an easier time putting it in your own words the second time. Try to make fun of what you're reading, as well. Maybe when reading why the guy with polio is doing push-ups you chuckled to yourself.

>> No.1166680

Is this the state we've arrived at where people don't understand how to understand? It's called "comprehension" my friend but I don't think any of us will be able to teach you that. What in god's name is happening to us all.

>> No.1166690

>>1166680

Sorry. I only read comics, and mangas. Not stories about guys with polios, and shit.

>> No.1166708

>>1166480
how old are you?

>> No.1166715

>>1166708

20 lmao

>> No.1166725

>>1166715
that's just sad.