[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 3.90 MB, 1800x855, half-light.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11637028 No.11637028 [Reply] [Original]

I fear I am entering that Dark Night of the Soul, /lit/. Everything is linguistic construction, there is no imperative to be anything, other than for the Ego's sake. Art is hollow, a reflection of mankind in a shallow pond. Even philosophy fails, since there is no reason to simply accrue truth - hoarding, and then honing knowledge and understanding can only enhance reality so much, without the Ego.
Any books, or insight to prove me wrong? I've looked to metaphysics and Kierkegaard's Leap of Faith, but other than this, is there any salvation? Am I missing part of the point of philosophy; is truth a higher calling, transcendence, even?

>> No.11637323

>>11637028
It sounds like youre at the point where youre ready for the truth.

All philosophy and religions boil down to one ethical goal: to be of service to others. To flourish in society among other people by contributing to their lives. If you doubt this name any philosopher no matter how fringe and i will show you how they exemplify this. Even ligotti hasnt killed himself yet.

But now im gonna let you in on the secret. The hole in all this, alas, is what are THEY doing that is so important they need my service? Why are we all running around serving each other when none of us possess a goal worthy of everyone serving it (instead of each other)? The ttuth is It is an ouroboros. And we are swiftly reaching the point where there is nothing left to swallow.

>> No.11637349

>>11637028
Cringe

>> No.11637352

>>11637028
This one is going in my cringe compilation.

>> No.11637362

>>11637028
Read The Cloud of Unknowing

>> No.11637367
File: 186 KB, 1680x1646, Base-superstructure_Dialectic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>everything is a linguistic construction
>a private language is impossible
>social life is founded on the production and reproduction of the means to live
>the production relations inform our way of thinking
kommence with karl marx

>> No.11637370

>>11637028
At that point I think you go either fully forward with religion or you instead choose antinatlaism.

>> No.11637385

>>11637370
Which did you choose?

>> No.11637395

>>11637370
What about absurdism? Ironic bugman?

>> No.11637419
File: 12 KB, 188x273, pyrrho.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11637028
Pyrrho left no writings, and we owe our knowledge of his thoughts to his disciple Timon of Phlius. His philosophy, in common with all post-Aristotelian systems, is purely practical in its outlook. Skepticism is not posited on account of its speculative interest, but only because Pyrrho sees in it the road to happiness, and the escape from the calamities of life. The proper course of the sage, said Pyrrho, is to ask himself three questions. Firstly we must ask what things are and how they are constituted. Secondly, we ask how we are related to these things. Thirdly, we ask what ought to be our attitude towards them. As to what things are, we can only answer that we know nothing. We only know how things appear to us, but of their inner substance we are ignorant. The same thing appears differently to different people, and therefore it is impossible to know which opinion is right. The diversity of opinion among the wise, as well as among the vulgar, proves this. To every assertion the contradictory assertion can be opposed with equally good grounds, and whatever my opinion, the contrary opinion is believed by somebody else who is quite as clever and competent to judge as I am. Opinion we may have, but certainty and knowledge are impossible. Hence our attitude to things (the third question), ought to be complete suspense of judgment. We can be certain of nothing, not even of the most trivial assertions. Therefore we ought never to make any positive statements on any subject. And the Pyrrhonists were careful to import an element of doubt even into the most trifling assertions which they might make in the course of their daily life. They did not say, "it is so," but "it seems so," or "it appears so to me." Every observation would be prefixed with a "perhaps," or "it may be."

>> No.11637426

>>11637419
This is oddly comforting.