[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 66 KB, 142x179, the blue.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11576126 No.11576126 [Reply] [Original]

Is philosophy simply another kind of happiness-chasing? Is the pursuit of knowledge truly a higher pursuit, if only for its ability to grant the pursuer a "higher" sense of contentment with existence? Is the value of intelligence constructed? Is there anything beyond the wayward and clumsy pursuit of human happiness? Is God, when considered, best conceptualized as a "wall against the absurd", so to speak, the conferrer of meaning and cause to the world?
Discuss, or recommend readings.

>> No.11576128

>>11576126
>Is philosophy simply another kind of happiness-chasing? Is the pursuit of knowledge truly a higher pursuit, if only for its ability to grant the pursuer a "higher" sense of contentment with existence? Is the value of intelligence constructed? Is there anything beyond the wayward and clumsy pursuit of human happiness? Is God, when considered, best conceptualized as a "wall against the absurd", so to speak, the conferrer of meaning and cause to the world?
>Discuss, or recommend readings.
basically yeah

>> No.11576135

The concious side of the human mind is basically a pattern recognition and concept creation/manipulation tool. So yes, its wired to reward "understanding"

>> No.11576216

>>11576135
It's difficult to perceive experience as more than reward or the lack thereof.

>> No.11576247

Do you really think I'm a happy person, anon?

>> No.11576286

Studying the philosophical works of others has been a dead end. But I was able to come to my own personal truths which I find relevant and significant. All others have all come to approximations of truth, and none are as clear as my own.

I might as well tell more about myself... why not, right?
Now I have reached a point in my personal enlightenment where I realize technology itself is a sin, but necessary for survival, which stymies divine realization. To construct a society which thrives off of hand-built and man-powered tools is beyond my monetary means. The only thing left to do is live practically, avoid crime and wait to die so that I may go to a better place.

Overall, I am happy with the path I have chosen, so that I can cautiously avoid hell which lays in wait for unsuspecting victims. It really should have been a major concern of humans, Pascal's wager and all.

>> No.11576299

Sensors/Aesthetes/Extraverts get out!

>> No.11576312
File: 89 KB, 367x600, 20130418_5cc8f1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11576126
That's what this is about

>> No.11576329

How to into eudaimonia?

>> No.11576352

What's the point of happiness? If happiness is its own point, why not be a hedonist? Why seek truth? Is it in ethics that the cure for The Chase is found?

>> No.11576369

>>11576352
>What's the point of happiness?
People are innately drawn to it. I imagine it hearkens back to days when human beings were not so materially secure. It would have been about security more than comfort, having a family to protect you and an environment that offers foraging and hunting possibilities. This to me suggests stability more than pleasure for pleasure's sake, which is what the term hedonism suggests to me.

>> No.11576385

>>11576126
Everybody is driven by some desire, some will, for some that is to have knowledge, to others it is to bust a nut.

>> No.11576901

>tfw learned Japanese so now I have both the power of knowledge and the power of nutbusting