[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 201x308, History_of_Western_Philosophy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11547433 No.11547433 [Reply] [Original]

I'm currently reading history of western philosophy by Bertrand Russell. I'm liking it so far. What did you think of it?

When I got to the Catholic philosophy section which is a third of the book, I immediately started reading from the end of the book as well as from the middle, so that I could alternate theological nonsense with modern nonsense.

It's almost 800 pages as well. Many of the philosophers are products of their time, which must be the dirty secret of philosophy. I think the equivalent for science and maths would be learning about how much famous results relied on applications and experiments for inspiration.

I laughed because there was a section on Henri Bergson but he seems to be in there just so Russell can pick on a continental. He doesn't think much of Nietzche either and called him a beta with overly grandiose ideas. I know that Russell has to describe the important stuff but despite this he still seems too accommodating towards metaphysical bullshit. And he didn't seem too impressed by sceptics among the ancients.

I like the book despite it being really dense but superficial. I have read a few non fiction books like this and I don't think this is a good way to learn in general.

>> No.11548093
File: 90 KB, 998x720, cringe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11547433
>this entire post

>> No.11548691

shite book desu