[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 220x293, 168EE72F-802B-4122-8EAC-EEA6F5B5F80E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11540834 No.11540834 [Reply] [Original]

Should I read his diary before of after reading his stories?

>> No.11540835

>>11540834
*or :(

>> No.11540852

No. Reading his letters or diary will help you understand his work a posteriori

>> No.11541320

his nonfiction is only worth your time if youre a fanboi. skip milena tho.

>> No.11541432

>>11540834
The diaries are hilarious and sad, Kafka is /lit/: the person

>“People label themselves with all sorts of adjectives. I can only pronounce myself as 'nauseatingly miserable beyond repair'.”

>“Lost among these entirely strange people.”

>“I passed by the brothel as though past the house of a beloved.”

>“The gesture of rejection with which I was forever met did not mean: 'I do not love you,' but: 'You cannot love me, much as you would like; you are unhappily in love with your love for me, but your love for me is not in love with you.' It is consequently incorrect to say that I have known the words, 'I love you'; I have known only the expectant stillness that should have been broken by my 'I love you,' that is all that I have known, nothing more.”

>“Peaceful moon. I consist only of bones.”

>“Nervous states of the worst sort control me without pause. Everything that is not literature bores me and I hate it. I lack all aptitude for family life except, at best, as an observer. I have no family feeling and visitors make me almost feel as though I were maliciously being attacked.”

>“My job is unbearable to me because it conflicts with my only desire and my only calling, which is literature. Since I am nothing but literature and can and want to be nothing else, my job will never take possession of me, it may, however, shatter me completely, and this is by no means a remote possibility.”

>“There can be no more beautiful spot to die in, no spot more worthy of total despair, than one’s own novel.”

>> No.11541987

>>11541432
Everything except the bit about family

>> No.11542084

>>11541987
You don't have any idea what he even means. This is the state of reading comprehension on lit.

>> No.11542657
File: 158 KB, 432x619, 1444185981889.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11541432
>>“The gesture of rejection with which I was forever met did not mean: 'I do not love you,' but: 'You cannot love me, much as you would like; you are unhappily in love with your love for me, but your love for me is not in love with you.' It is consequently incorrect to say that I have known the words, 'I love you'; I have known only the expectant stillness that should have been broken by my 'I love you,' that is all that I have known, nothing more.”
f-fuck