[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 969 KB, 1562x2560, Materials.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11484643 No.11484643 [Reply] [Original]

Is this a good book to give to someone who loves reading fairy stories and all the fantastical stuff? They're an adult, 24 years old.

What do you think of it?

>> No.11484706

>>11484643
Really it's one of the very few YA books that's acceptable for adults to read.

>> No.11484731

>>11484706
I thought it was a children's book but with more layers also enjoyable by adults in the sense that Alice is for example. She doesn't like YA as a rule. But I'll take your word for it that it's nice.

>> No.11484750

>>11484731
Yeah, I'd put it in the same boat as Alice in Wonderland, Watership Down, etc in that it's enjoyable for both children and adults. It's accessible and enjoyable fun for children but as an adult you'd likely be able to pick apart the criticisms on religion, technology, politics and the William Blake influences (if you're interested in Blake ofc).

>> No.11484787

>>11484750
Sounds good desu. Might pick a copy for myself too.

>> No.11485102

>>11484643
Northern Lights is enjoyable. The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are sibsequently and exponentially awful. Pullman pushes his anti-religion message harder than CS Lewis pushed a pro-christian message in Narnia, to the point where it is blatantly a soapbox and no longer a story, a catechism instead of a character

>> No.11485112

>>11484787
Go for it, dude. That pic's a good edition of it too

>> No.11485121

>>11485102
S-so it's not something a catholic would enjoy?

>> No.11485162
File: 558 KB, 1565x2823, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's literally worse than the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises written for people whose imaginative lives are confined to TV cartoons, and the exaggerated (more exciting, not threatening) mirror-worlds of soaps, reality TV and celebrity gossip?
Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>> No.11485215

>>11485121
Depends if you like being defamed and grossly misrepresented. Ludicrous levels of 'God is evil' and such-like.

>>11485162
Based and redpilled

>> No.11485232

>>11485162

What's wrong anon? bad day? Wanna talk?

>> No.11485245

>>11484643
Ah, the Fedoracles of Narnia.

>> No.11485263

I love that like, Pullman introduces Angels in the third book during a campfire of exposition with some witches and then one witch just hop on his broom and meets this mystical and incredibly rare and powerful creature in the air. Just like that. All in one chapter.
The first book was passable, maybe a little better than HP books, but after that is asspull after asspull

Wasn't there a whole plot where a guy has to assassinate a woman and then AFTER the main plot is over and this assassination is finally taking place, a literal Deus Ex Machina stumble upon the killer and kills him?

>> No.11485283

>>11485263
>a literal Deus Ex Machina stumble upon the killer and kills him?
Yes. What a pointless side plot that was. The widowing gay angel accidentally snaps his neck before fading away into nothingness
>asspullman

>> No.11485327

>>11484643
It's Paradise Lost for children

>> No.11485770

>>11485162
This JK ROFL shit post copy pasta again. Piss off you wanker. Stop repeating the obvious, it's quite tiring.

>> No.11485853

>>11484643
>They're an adult
>numale can't in2 singular vs plural