[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 324x499, 5187LPGYDQL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11422580 No.11422580 [Reply] [Original]

im a brainlet and i want to get more into reading. i just finished pic related, but dont know where to go from here. i am not a very romantic person (in the sense of being in touch with emotions), but grand themes revolving around masculinity, religion/god or lack thereof, fathers, or humans place in the universe really resonate with me.

also if anyone wants to share their opinions or thoughts on blood meridian i enjoy discussing it as well. thanks.

>> No.11422587

>>11422580
>but grand themes revolving around masculinity, religion/god or lack thereof, fathers, or humans
you hate 'roastwhores', 'niggers', 'kikes', and 'licucks', right?

>> No.11422588

>>11422580
Moby Dick and Brothers Karamazov are just what you're looking for and they're literary/board essentials. They're long and dense but if you got through blood meridian as a starter then you should be fine.

>> No.11422632

>>11422587
t. Kike Roastwhore

>> No.11422637

>>11422587
if this is true (>>11422632), will you please be my gf

>> No.11422669

>>11422588
i will buy those today, thanks for the rec. blood meridian was a really good read, i think i may actually just enjoy it quite a bit

>> No.11422689

>>11422587
no, but i hate the idea that hating them is not ok. can you give me some recs. based on that?

>> No.11422765

>>11422580
Holy shit you're literally me. I decided recently to start serious literature after spending many years reading only meme fantasy books like MBotF.
I finished Blood Meridian one week ago and I planned afterwards to read the rest of McCarthy's bibliography. But I ended up growing tired of his writing style (not that I found it bad, it was pretty challenging for someone who's not a native speaker of english). So I decided to try Joyce instead, beginning with Dubliners and a Portrait, of course. His prose on those both is tame and I'm appreciating a lot the stories.

>> No.11422835

>>11422765
i can see how it would be difficult if you dont speak english as a first language, cant really explain his writing style too easily but its very "natural". almost like an intimate conversation. speaking of, i cant imagine his dialogue would be easy to follow if you dont often converse in english

>> No.11423062

>>11422580

Its not just the themes, its that Blood Meridian is historical fiction from an incredibly rich understanding of that historical period by Cormac McCarthy. The elements I find most interesting are as follows:

>Blood Meridian is loosely based on the primary account of travelling with a band of mercenary scalp hunters, "My Confession"

>McCarthy had a great knowledge of human life in the west for the past couple hundred years and seats the story as an account of that period

>Blood Meridian literally happened, and stories like it would have played out countless times in that area

>> No.11423147

>>11423062
>Blood Meridian literally happened, and stories like it would have played out countless times in that area
OP here, i live in arizona and can vouch for this. having been to countless ghost towns as a tourist you find that almost every building has a bullet hole in it somewhere and there is a story of a man who was shot every few miles. the realism and depiction of the violence is truly "haunting" because things did in fact happen that way. but the way it is written so matter-of-fact shows his knowledge of the times so well, as it is a truly a mirror image of the attitudes towards such behavior during that time

>> No.11423758
File: 5 KB, 100x150, thRF1RS5O0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11422580
As I Lay Dying by Faulkner. It's sort of samey to what you just read, but it's short and if you like it, you'll probably be very interested in the rest of his similar stuff.

>> No.11423799

>>11423147

I wish I lived in the area. You should goto the Santa Fe Institute or some of the Cormac McCarthy society meetings.

>> No.11423824

>>11422580
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison focuses a lot on masculinity and what it means to be an individual. Maybe read the short story “Battle Royal” to start, since it was later reused as the book’s first chapter.

>> No.11423862

>>11422580
ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shellalagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

>> No.11423869

>>11423862

>Pizzles
>Argonauts

Are all these words, besides "Monsieur" derived from Blood Meridian?

>> No.11423876

>>11422580
Book of the New Sun
by Gene Wolfe
Your welcome

>> No.11424585

>>11423869
ye

>> No.11424632

>>11422580
Go here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgyZ4ia25gg

>> No.11424641

>>11423062
>>11423147
I'm more interested in the location and environment that is described during BM
>Regions that produce St Elmo's fire
>Desert storms soundless in the distant and rolling closer to sound like something from a demon hell
>gypsum lake which produces violet shadows
>Mountains coming out of nothing like gargantuan creatures
>countless fields of flowers in an otherwise barren landscape
I live on the Australian East coast. Nothing even remotely is similar.