[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 500x457, 1523191163969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.11420457 [Reply] [Original]

What if our ideas and cultures are like creatures engaged in a memetic darwinian survival of the fittest? Meta creatures evolving within our collective sphere of thought

>> No.11420485

Whenever I've tried to think of this I always come up against this weird block in my mind, like there should be something there but there isn't: if memetics is analogous to genetics in the over-reaching way that Dawkins et al. want it to be (and why shouldn't it be, logically? it's certainly an interesting assertion, at least), then why is "memetic evolution" so clearly telic and NOT atelic? Nobody in their right fucking mind would say that the general, ground rule of memetic development is natural selection, and every appearance of atelic development is only a baroque outward manifestation - that is, as they say in the case genetic evolution. Clearly the development of cognition has factors other than "selection for utility, under stochastic conditions." Wtf is utility in this case? Even the most ardent "evolution explains everything!" dogmatists often (though not always) say, almost with Hegel, that true subjective consciousness breaks out of the iron necessity of unconscious selection pressures, at least at moments of deliberate self-reflection.

But the real part where I hit a mental block is then: If the cases of genetics and memetics were ostensibly so analogous to begin with, which is what made us want to apply the model of evolutionary over-determination to memetics in the first place, why should its breakdown in the case of memetics not cause us to reverse
the comparison and look for a similar breakdown, similar factors in genetics? Maybe the cases ARE analogous. What are the analogously telic processes or factors, inexplicable by atelic computer models of evolution under merely stochastic conditions? Maybe the argument from design, or teleology, has more subtle articulations that we've simply lost sight of or failed to develop because we are so afraid of their naive articulations.

>> No.11420507

Societies that adopt bad ideas, like murdering their own children inside the womb, or importing millions of hostile foreigners, are doomed to extinction, and their bad ideas will die along with them. You see this on the individual level as well. Reality weeds out evil.

>> No.11420511

>>11420485
your thought fails at the basic premise of evolution which is adaptability, ill need to come back to it later with a dictionary if i want it to survive, im sorry

>> No.11420519

>>11420457
>>11420485

"Viral violence cannot account for neuronal illnesses such as depression, ADHD, or burnout syndrome, for it follows the immunological scheme of inside and outside, Own and Other; it presumes the existence of singularity or alterity which is hostile to the system. Neuronal violence does not proceed from system-foreign negativity. Instead, it is systemic—that is, system-immanent—violence. Depression, ADHD, and burnout syndrome point to excess positivity. Burnout syndrome occurs when the ego overheats, which follows from too much of the Same. The hyper in hyperactivity is not an immunological category. It represents the massification of the positive."

>>11420507
you are talking of nature and Higher Nature.

That concept is currently under re-construction.

>> No.11420531

>>11420485
seems interesting idea but tl;dr

>> No.11420627

>>11420457
Read Jung and find the answer.

>> No.11420635

>>11420627
> find the answer.
sounds like you got memed