[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 273x346, Epictetus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11372405 No.11372405 [Reply] [Original]

Share what you've learned from reading the Stoics.

>> No.11372430

I was underwhelmed by stoicism. I sort of learned to focus on stuff you have control over, but I'm not sure how helpful it really is. Personally, the stoic idea of anima mundi is the most interesting, but I just read they got that from Platon. Is stoicism just a synthesis of platonism and the sceptics?

>> No.11372458
File: 440 KB, 1920x1200, touhou1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11372405
I can't point out all the things I learnt from stoicism. It is more of a process and lived experience that I try to grasp and live. No matter what I try, be it therapy, medication, interests, activity, people.. only stoicism helps me with anxiety and in life in general. I have pretty bad life with little prospects but stoicism answers it in a way I can agree and makes me calm even in this life that I lead. Epictetus is like a manual, Marcus is like a remembering of topics that matter and activity I can do and understand and Seneca molds my character and reminds me of duties and importance of some things in life.

>> No.11372579

>>11372405
Accepting my wife's boyfriend as part of our life

>> No.11373724

Stoicism has honestly helped me. Here's one of my favorite passages, thinking about it reminds to be mindful and helps my anxiety by appreciating what's around me.

"We ought to observe also that even the things which follow after the things which are produced according to nature contain something pleasing and attractive. For instance, when bread is baked some parts are split at the surface, and these parts which thus open, and have a certain fashion contrary to the purpose of the baker’s art, are beautiful in a manner, and in a peculiar way excite a desire for eating. And again, figs, when they are quite ripe, gape open; and in the ripe olives the very circumstance of their being near to rottenness adds a peculiar beauty to the fruit. And the ears of corn bending down, and the lion’s eyebrows, and the foam which flows from the mouth of wild boars, and many other things—though they are far from being beautiful, if a man should examine them severally,—still, because they are consequent upon the things which are formed by nature, help to adorn them, and they please the mind; so that if a man should have a feeling and deeper insight with respect to the things which are produced in the universe, there is hardly one of those which follow by way of consequence which will not seem to him to be in a manner disposed so as to give pleasure. And so he will see even the real gaping jaws of wild beasts with no less pleasure than those which painters and sculptors show by imitation; and in an old woman and an old man he will be able to see a certain maturity and comeliness; and the attractive loveliness of young persons, he will be able to look on with chaste eyes; and many such things will present themselves, not pleasing to every man, but to him only who has become truly familiar with nature and her works." (Meditations 3.2)

>> No.11373806

>>11373724
o my fig

>> No.11373809

>>11372405
Reading stoicism helped me. I've found a few comforting thoughts and liked the writings of practical individuals who didn't engage in over-intellectualising.

In practice though? Very little. I've always had it in me that I never fantasise and never bother myself with stuff I can't change. I didn't need to learn it. It was just comforting to read that there are individuals who think along the same lines because most people around me had always bothered themselves with stuff they can't influence at all. I may have some stoic inclinations, but each time I try to 'be' a stoic, I fail. I'm hedonic and vain at times, although that's only natural.

Lastly, I think stoics are terribly misinterpreted and misrepresented. For example, what's stoic about doing sports or lifting weights? You essentially tie yourself to one aspect of life because you can let the life be fluid, and call that dedication. Being a pro athlete is obsessive. So is being a die hard scholar of other thinkers.

I prefer Zen buddhism. Stoics and Zen buddhists are often compared, but to me there are some quite significant differences that make the Zen buddhism stand out better for me.

>> No.11373815

>>11373809
But is your fig ripe and gape open? Is your olive ready to be digested?

>> No.11373821

>>11373815
Why would I care about that?

>> No.11373836
File: 428 KB, 563x556, 1521989630670.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11373821
Because I care deeply about your olive and fig. I want to feel your fig anon. Please let me digest your olive.

>> No.11373839

>>11372405

Stoicism taught me that I'd rather be a slave to my emotions for some reason even though I'm perfectly capable of deploying stoic technique

>> No.11373866

>>11372405
I've only read the enchiridion bit it has taught me not to be a resentful little cunt.

>> No.11373876
File: 674 KB, 561x788, 1523604004318.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Taught me that it is ok to beat my meat to loli because it is according to my nature and it is coherently rational and purposeful so I no longer rebel against it.