[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 84 KB, 720x609, 89316634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11364434 No.11364434 [Reply] [Original]

Been trying to track down a quote, can't really remember it but the gist is about the modern world reducing man to numbers and ledgers or something of the sort. Burke perhaps? Ring any bells?

>> No.11364447
File: 6 KB, 192x263, Guenon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>“The quantitative degeneration of all things is closely linked to that of money, as is shown by the fact that nowadays the ‘worth’ of an object is ordinarily ‘estimated’ only in terms of its price, considered simply as a ‘figure’, a ‘sum’, or a numerical quantity of money; in fact, with most of our contemporaries, every judgment brought to bear on an object is nearly always based exclusively on what it costs. The word ‘estimate’ has been emphasized because it has in itself a double meaning, qualitative and quantitative; today the first meaning has been lost to sight, or what amounts to the same thing, means have been found to equate it to the second, and thus it comes about that not only is the ‘worth’ of an object ‘estimated’ according to its price, but the ‘worth’ of a man is ‘estimated’ according to his wealth.”

Guénon actually wrote a whole book about it. We have gone from Quality to Quantity.

>> No.11365052

I've got one too
Something like
"all who live, die"
And
"no life has ever been lost but that which is lived"
Simple quotes but I can't remember who said it. I think it could have been Marcus Aurelius or Socrates.

>> No.11365143

>>11364447
what a shitty writer

>> No.11365188

To workers, I'm just another drone
To Ma Bell, I'm just another phone
I'm just another statistic on a sheet
To teachers, I'm just another child
To IRS, I'm just another file
I'm just another consensus on the street

And I feel like a number
Feel like a number