[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 99 KB, 800x531, Three_norwegian_soldiers_w_respirators.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1134360 No.1134360 [Reply] [Original]

/r/ing novels considered one or more of the following:
- sophisticated post-apocalyptic sci-fi/horror (preferably without the cliche of techno-religious extraterrestrials hellbent on exterminating humanity)
-alternate history/plausible future fiction
-anachronistic fantasy (magic/robots/modern military technology, etc. on the level with miyazaki)

Pic somewhat related

>> No.1134362

Lucifer's Hammer?

>> No.1134365

Also think battle angel alita: last order or dieselpunk

>> No.1134367

>>1134362
From what I read on wikipedia, this has potential.

Good work, anon!

>> No.1134369

perdido street station by china meiville
(and everything else by meiville)
light by robert heinlein
and everything by daryl gregory so far~~~

>> No.1134372

also super sad true love stories by gary shteyngart

>> No.1134378
File: 37 KB, 500x375, 1247978400783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1134369
>>1134372

>> No.1134404

>- sophisticated post-apocalyptic sci-fi/horror (preferably without the cliche of techno-religious extraterrestrials hellbent on exterminating humanity)

Duluth, by Gore Vidal

>-alternate history/plausible future fiction

The Child In Time, by Ian McEwan.

>-anachronistic fantasy (magic/robots/modern military technology, etc. on the level with miyazaki)

Urgh, I'm so sick of that genre. I guess I still like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

>> No.1134416

William Johnstones Ashes series.
Here are some descriptions of some of the books.

The bloody war continues against the hordes of subhuman cannibals infesting the urban wasteland. But Raines and his rebel forces encounter an even greater threat to their dream of a new America as a reawakened Ku Klux Klan sows the poisonous seeds of ignorance and prejudice. This hideous scourge must be eradicated at all costs, either through education...or annihilation. For Ben Raines knows that of all the threats to mankind's survival, blind and brutal hatred is the deadliest...

While in the Hawaiian Islands ending the rule of slavers, thugs and the cannibalistic Night People, Ben Raines and his rebel army learn of a new threat to their homeland. A grim spectre from the past--an army of Nazis led by the maniacal Jesus Dieguez Mendoza Hoffman--is marching through South America toward the vulnerable heartland of America. Not content to crush America, Hoffman has singled out Ben Raines for a hideous fate. Now, with the famed warrior a prisoner, his life hanging in the balance, only the outnumbered but undefeated Rebels stand in the way of the terrorist-trained Death's Head battalions bent on the destruction of the once proud land of liberty and freedom!

The power-mad Libyan terrorist, Khamasin, has already begun his bloodthirsty assault on America's southern tier. But an even deadlier threat lurks in the plague-ridden ruins of the country's once-great cities: the Night People--crazed, flesh-eating packs of mutants in searhc of fresh, human kill. Facing assault from two mortal enemies, Ben Raines and his Rebels are in for the battle of their lives. But the do-or-die freedom fighters are willing to face Hell on Earth to strike a blow for America's survival.

>> No.1134437
File: 30 KB, 301x475, london-iron-heel-bookcover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

THE IRON HEEL by Jack London

>> No.1134441

You was a book version of Metal Gear Solid?

>> No.1134463
File: 57 KB, 298x475, Guns_of_the_south.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>alternate history

The most recent alternate history I read

>> No.1134732

I recommend:

Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Chrysalids by John Wyndham
The Stand by Stephen King
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
The Taking by Dean Koontz
Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons

>> No.1134780

>>1134362

I can't believe someone else has read that. My mother picked it up at the bookstore cold and liked it then gave it to me. I had a little trouble sticking with it in the beginning but my god does it ramp up fast. In their minds the world falls apart quite quickly...

Also, Niven and Pournelle have a few other books that are quite good my favorite so far being The Mote in God's Eye (though I haven't re-read it since I was a teenager so I might not enjoy it quite as much anymore, that seems to be happening quite frequently when I go back to books I used to love).