[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 326x499, snowcountry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11337498 No.11337498 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished reading Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata and found it highly enjoyable. Kawabata is a master of dialogue and I recommend his writing to anyone who wants to improve their dialogue in their own writing. The theme of coldness seems runs throughout the book and it has a lot of nice symbolism.

Are we even meant to like Shimamura?

>> No.11337545
File: 98 KB, 510x546, watatea.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shimumara represents the effeteness of modernity, he's a self-appointed 'expert' on western dance but he's never seen the dances performed himself, all he knows is from newspapers and books.
This contrasts with Komako who has learnt to play the samisen by just pouring over sheet music.

Shimumara is also entirely effete himself, he has no will to properly take control over his own life. It's hard to like him towards the end but it's also hard to totally hate him.

Komako overcompensates hard for Shumumara's passivity and as a consequence comes across as pushy and inappropriate, they're both as bad as each other desu. In my opinion Komako is slightly more relateable.

>> No.11337958

I just got this book at the library yesterday. If this thread is still up when I finish it, then I'll let you know what I thought of it.

>> No.11337970

one of the most beautiful last lines in a novel ive ever read

>> No.11339680

>>11337958
Keeping thread up for this guy. Finish it anon!

>> No.11339895

>>11337970

The ending was vague enough that it could have meant anything too, did Komako burn to death whilst Shimumara was busy staring at the milky way?