[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 677x209, 1528735440842.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11310283 No.11310283 [Reply] [Original]

You probably know that he deemed women to be inferior to men in mental, physical, and aesthetic ability. He also advocated for polygamy:
"It is useless to argue about polygamy, it must be taken as a fact existing everywhere, the mere regulation of which is the problem to be solved. Where are there, then, any real monogamists?
We all live, at any rate for a time, and the majority of us always, in polygamy. Consequently, as each man needs many women, nothing is more just than to let him, nay, make it incumbent upon him to provide for many women.
By this means woman will be brought back to her proper and natural place as a subordinate being, and the lady, that monster of European civilisation and Christian–Teutonic stupidity, with her ridiculous claim to respect and veneration, will no longer exist; there will still be women, but no unhappy women, of whom Europe is at present full. The Mormons’ standpoint is right."

Then what should the males that are left without women (i.e incels) do? He argues for the happiness of women when advocating polygamy but he leaves no thought for the happiness of men.

>> No.11310297

? Incels aren't men

>> No.11310315

Interestingly Schopenhauer argued later on in his life that it is theoretically possible, if she reached ascetiscm and erudition that a woman could surpass any man however this was purely theoretical.

>> No.11310329

I think it's fair to say Schopie has been proven wrong, and women are clearly superior to men in this day and age.

>> No.11310908

>>11310315
>>11310329
Yes whether women are better or worse than men is another question. I'm just curious to why he, who seems to be quite misogynistic, cares so much about the happiness of women when he discusses monogamy and doesn't give the answer to what the excess men will do.

>> No.11311555

>>11310908
Because Schopenhauer, to a degree believed in a very primitive form of natural selection and competition, that is if the will to life is the dictating force behind a woman's decision to procreate then she will of course naturally "will" towards the greatest possible mate, leaving an excess of males as would be in nature. Also I am not sure Schoppy is actually misogynistic in the sense that he hated women individually, I think he more so just hated the effect that they had Unintentionally on men and those around them simply by existing. Hopefully this answer aids you.

>> No.11311609

>>11310329
>Entire system supports you at someone elses expense
>This makes you better

>> No.11311747
File: 52 KB, 700x610, aPWy0MR_700b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]