[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 220x315, Sound and Fury.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11300708 No.11300708 [Reply] [Original]

I read on here that this book is one of the greatest novels of American literature. I decided to give it a go. I have not read any Faulkner, really, outside of some short stories and a failed attempt at "As I lay Dying", so I had no real idea what I was getting into.

That first chapter was a bit of a slog. I enjoyed it, and, being a brainlet, struggled more than I would have liked to, but then that second chapter kicked it. Whoo whee. What a fucking voice! This guy says some shit that floors me. I'm excited to continue reading it and I'm thankful I stuck with it.

Thanks anon

>> No.11300719

Read Winesburg, Ohio next if you want more excellent American literature.

>> No.11300738

quentin is /ourguy/

>> No.11300740

>>11300708
>a failed attempt at "As I lay Dying"
It is a difficult book, despite what tards on this abominable board says, and even Harold Bloom agrees. That said, it's more accessible, I think, than TSatF. What made you quit?

>> No.11300762

>>11300740
I'm 20. I really only got into reading 4 years ago. As I lay Dying was attempted at 17. Since then, I've tackled most other American authors, including Melville, so I thought a return to him would yield better results. I'm sure I'll move back to As I lay dying, especially after this.

>> No.11300767

>>11300708
Read up on the first chapter and give it another go if you haven't already, it's pretty good stuff once you're able to put it all together