[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 600x337, 1502292111244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11252902 No.11252902[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/, lately I've wondered why anime has become such a worldwide phenomenon. Please recommend me books which describe and/or assess anime and its aesthetic and thematic appeal.

>> No.11252909

>>11252902
It's easier and faster to sit down and watch a show than to read a book. Anime has the virtue of being able to convey any narrative given the nature of animation.
>also anime tiddies

>> No.11252931

It begins with the vacuum created by a lack of good western cartoons since the late 90s.

Actually a federal ruling here in the States back in the mid 90s required all basic television stations to have a certain amount of time for educational programming, and networks decided to squeeze them all into slots where children would be watching, which was the first death blow. It became worse when the rule was modified later on that decade and children's cartoons had to have an educational spin on them which effectively neutered the whole spectrum of cartoons we grew up on.

The alternative was obviously Cartoon Network, which bypassed the federal law by being on a cable station (Nickelodeon got away with it too for the same reason). Cartoon Network went with homegrown Turner serials, old cartoons and animes that were already established in Japan to shortcut costs. The result was a huge boom for anime in the market, and we have pretty much been living off of the wave of that ever since.

The Pokemon craze did not play any less of a factor.

I watched a video on it many years ago. It may still be on YouTube. I think its called The Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

>> No.11252941

>>11252902
i want to write something but weebs are not even subhumans, its pointless from a zoological perspective.

tldr: anime is dead gods whispering to autists, animus are vehicles, weebs are mirrors

you can extrapolate at your discretion

>> No.11253012

>>11252909
I agree.
>>11252931
With films such as Kimi no Nawa being shown in Western cinemas in recent years, I don't think the anime "wave" is showing any signs of receding. I think the 'snowball effect' is more of an apt metaphor with anime becoming a bigger part >>11252941
Do you speak this cryptically and vaguely offline?

>> No.11253017

>>11253012
Some strange bug cut off half my post.
"of nerd culture, and by extension, mainstream culture?" is how I wanted the sentence to end.

>> No.11253019

Pause and select is a good academically minded YouTube channel on anime, the guy often has academics of Japanese studies on it