[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 220x326, 220px-Kierkegaard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11236133 No.11236133 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone have some suggestions on ancillary material I could read to help me better understand Kierkegaard? I'm reading through "Fear and Trembling" at the moment and I don't entirely understand everything as I'd like to.

>> No.11236139

>>11236133
I just read this, so it's fresh in my mind. I think I understood the book completely. Ask me anything you are confused about and I can try to answer.

>> No.11236218

>>11236139
I guess one question I have is just what exactly does he mean when he compares the single individual in an absolute relation to the universal to the single individual in an absolute relation to the absolute? I at least have begun to understand just how the ethical is the universal, but I'm unsure of where the absolute comes from and what it is.

>> No.11236458

>>11236133
is Fear and Trembling the only Kierkegaard you've read?

>> No.11236488

i really would like for K not to become the next meme philosopher here
he's the only thing keeping me sincerely devoted to this worldly existence.

>> No.11236492

>>11236218
I think that's Hegel's concept of the absolute. But i haven't read that part yet from K.

>> No.11236507

I've gotten a more than decent understanding of him by reading either or and then fear and trembling/sickness unto death
Sadler/Roderick have great lectures on him but nothing beats the experience of encountering his texts. All you have to do is wrap your head around his 3 spheres of existence and the rest more or less is intelligible. If something seems needlessly complex its likely a Hegel parody.
Also you don't need to understand anything of Hegel except that his Absolute Mind treated Faith as an immediacy and a stepping stone that could be surpassed by his 'system'. Hegel wanted to mediate opposing concepts into a higher unity and K wanted these to become paradoxes that would lead the subject into faith on the strength of absurdity.

>> No.11236531 [DELETED] 
File: 64 KB, 640x554, 8a054c12a9a341403530f9b2cedfd5d9b1d7d59ccb20a9acd4a8b191b232976f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

8ch dot net slash litpat

>> No.11236757

>>11236531
Shut up already.

>> No.11236927

>>11236507

The western project is a farce

>> No.11237077

>>11236133
Read more of him. Don't look for philosophical systems, there wouldn't be any, nor there should be. I recommend "Christian Discourses", because however you feel about Christianity, you can't consider Kierkegaard without it.

>> No.11237533

>>11236458
Yeah, I only just started reading him.

>>11236507
>>11237077
Thank you both, I'll take your advice

>> No.11238163

Bumparino. Currently reading Works of Love and Sickness Unto Death. It’s been helpful to slow down and reread at least 1/4 of each page to follow some sections but he’s pretty good.

>Not a Christian either.

>> No.11238403

Read Corsaren.

>> No.11239371

>>11236218
>>11236133

These relations make more sense with some exposure to Kant (or if you're a madman and have actually read Hegel). One can reach the "Absolute" (a Platonic/Divine "GOOD") via ethical behavior. This is a mediated relationship with the Absolute because in an ethical system the Good cannot be touched directly. (e.g. saving a life is good because of its adhering and sustaining the categorical imperative. the categorical imperative being the universal which uphold divine order). As such, the teleology of the act points to the ethical (universal) and the teleology of the ethical points to the absolute. This is a two step process.

With the teleological suspension of the ethical, the act points directly to the absolute, avoiding mediation with the ethical. This is impossible without the religious understanding, and consists of an absolute subjective relation which cannot be objectively (universally) systematized. This is where Abraham/Isaac come in and it's very important to get the details straight.
>The act is not transactional because Abraham loses the highest possible reward (and heaven does not exist in the scripture) - If it were, the act would be aesthetic (which exists as the category below the ethical)
>The act is not one of duty because Abraham has no reason to be dutiful to that which commands him to sacrifice what is highest - If it were, the act would become ethical (which exists in the space as the category below religious)
>The act is not without despair because it was a 3 day trip to Moria and he drew the knife - If it were, the act would be comedy (existing as humor in the space between the ethical and the religious)

As such, Abraham is redeemed by virtue of Faith in the absurd and achieves an absolute relation to the divine Good, which is incomprehensible except in the absolute subjective frame of reference.

OP, also consider the pseudonymous authorship of the work. Johannes Climacticus is not Soren Kierkegaard and he has a different perspective on the subject than SK himself.

Personally, if you're interested in F&T, I would recommend The Book on Adler, because it and F&T are fairly interdependent.

>> No.11239395

i would read Kiekegaard by Michael Watts. He is one of the leading scholars on Kierkegaard. It's a book that is both biographical and philosophical. The philosophy is in layman. It's accessible and was the book I had to read for a phi course on Kierkegaard.

>> No.11239421

>>11236133
I found it really helpful to listen to Hubert Dreyfuss’s lectures on Existentialism. I listened to an earlier version of the course here:

https://archive.org/details/Phil_7_Existentialism_in_Literature_and_Film

NB: In looking this up, I only just learned that he dies last year. Fuck me... that’s brought the day down. I thought much of his All Things Shining ideas wrong (he missed out on based Anabaptist turth), but still appreciated his articulation of the ideas and the “search for truth in a secular age”.

>> No.11239452

>>11239421
Excuse the typos.... could scarcely see through the tears.

>> No.11240523

>>11239371
Thank you- this really clears up much of the problem I was having. I'll be sure to check out The Book on Adler as well.