[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 309x475, 6a00c225216348549d00f48cec180a0003-500pi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1122125 No.1122125 [Reply] [Original]

ITT Look up your favorite book on Amazon and filter the reviews so that you get the ones giving one star.

>This book is all about some badly behaved brothers and their mean father and how they do nothing but shout and drink and threaten one another and are lewd and then, one of them anyway, goes to England, or at least he wants to. You call that a story?

>> No.1122126

But I don't wanna rage right now...

>> No.1122129

>>1122125
>>1122125
Great review I shall avoid this pos

>> No.1122133
File: 13 KB, 252x252, sometimesagreatnotion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I gave up after 2 chapters; just couldn't follow the scenes in the book. This book was recommended to me as a way to understand someone I had been having trouble working with. Maybe I'd understand the videotape better.

>> No.1122146

The Phantom of the Opera

The story is not only long and drawn out, but it lacks the intimate love story the reader craves. I found the book to be very boring and hard to finish. I love Andrew Lyod Weber's version, which is the only reason I finished the novel.
The novel lacks a realistic hero. The descriptions of Rauol display him as weak and childish. The phantom is depicted as insane. I found myself not caring if any of the characters died.
I would not recommend this book to anyone. I cannot believe some reviewer gave this novel five stars.

>> No.1122150

That's actually a pretty hilarious summary.

>> No.1122153
File: 27 KB, 220x330, 6436742386867.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer

>It is hard to avoid acknowledging the intelligence >behind this work but it is equally hard to understand >the point. The author dislikes his characters and his >city, focusing on ugliness, squalor, stench, and >scat. There is a lot of shocking and unpleasant >material often told in a highly imaginative and >creative fashion. The writing is erudite, complex, and >sophisticated but also full of hatred for the >characters. I could not find any psychological >realism or meaningful plots but did find vivid, >pungent, toilet imagery.

imokwiththis.jpg

>> No.1122162
File: 54 KB, 295x366, ignatius.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>My book club read this book and all eight of us hated it. The characters are disgusting and they are not funny in the least. Quirky characters in novels are usually entertaining but there was not a SINGLE redeeming character in any of this book's characters. Do not bother with this novel.

>> No.1122164

>>1122162

THE RAGE OF A THOUSAND DYING SUNS

>> No.1122168

Evelyn Waugh - A Handful of Dust

both review and my reply spoilered, beware!

>Oh dear. To me this is a very poor effort, weakly conceived around a 'theoretically' pivotal sentence where the main female character confuses the death of her son with her lover.

>Furthermore, there is an assumption that the reader will accept the reasoning behind the female character's decision to take a lover. To my mind, she drifts, with shallow diffidence, into an affair, which the writer thinks will shock and surprise. Sadly, it is only boring.

>The dialogue, which may have been daring at the time of writing, is hysterically funny for it's antiqueness: it reads like a 1940's 'B' movie - clipped and improbable, which presumably apes the prevalent film scripts of the time. The question is this: did they really speak like that?

>Thank God he wrote Brideshead Revisited, a true masterpiece

this has made me rage hard.

the entire point is that the death of her son makes her leave her husband as she has nothing to stay for now, and it shows how shallow their lives are as they have no fucking emotion.

fuck fuck fuck fuck

also the reason she has an affair is boredom, that's the fucking point! who's to blame? Tony for his love of his manor, or her for being so uncaring.

clipped dialogue? can this bitch read.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

yes i mad.

>> No.1122175
File: 49 KB, 332x500, 164154.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> I bought this book with high expectations--after all, it has been highly recommended as a classic of science fiction. I couldn't finish it. The lack of women characters made it impossible for me to relate to the story. It may be a good book, but with so many other thoughtful science fiction books out there that more realistically include women, why bother?

>> No.1122176
File: 33 KB, 320x500, TyBrax3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>A book that has been made into a movie so many times you would think that it was good, but it really is not. I could not bring myself to sit down and read this one cover to cover, and I do not see how anyone could. The book does not flow very well, the story is all over the place, the characters are insanely one dimensional and not very developed, and there seems to be no real conclusion. If you are considering this book I would think twice, besides... you can usually pick up a free one at any HoJo, church, or courthouse anyway. Of all of the fiction books that I have read, this one is by far the least creative, and captivating.
pleb.

>> No.1122185
File: 11 KB, 299x298, obama[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

mfw The Homecoming by Harold Pinter has no 1star reviews

>> No.1122209
File: 16 KB, 250x381, cats_cradle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Exceedingly boring, much too long threads of useless information to the reader. Humor??? Where? If I laughed or giggled once every forty five pages or so, it was muffled by the yawn that soon followed. And does this man love the name "Pefko" so much that he did not realize that we would find it in yet another tediously boring rambling of his.. namely, " Breakfast of Champions"? I have far better things to do with my time than to wait for this old man to get a sense of humor that he can put down on paper. If you would like to laugh, read "The Catcher In The Rye"... J.D. Salinger. A man with a sense of humor need not try so hard that he completely misses the point, Mr. Vonnegut.

>> No.1122222

"if you like to feel depressed, then by all means read this book....it is dark and imaginary smells are those of death....yuk....totally discusting."
ughhh

>> No.1122237

>>1122162
>implying that that review is not completely accurate

>> No.1122252
File: 2.12 MB, 1600x900, davechapelle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1122237

>> No.1122258

I know people will downvote me like crazy for this review, so shame on me for being honest, I guess.

I was disappointed with this book. I had borrowed it from the library recently and tried sitting through it. I mainly borrowed it because of all the praise it got and the amount of hype surrounding it. I do enjoy a little "brain popcorn" now and then, so I'd enjoy it.

I didn't.

First off, the writing here is garbage. Actually, it's every bit as bad as Twilight. The worst crime with the writing is that, like the aforementioned Twilight saga, Heller does more telling than showing. Yeah, the gun is across the room. you don't need to tell us that. How about "Clevinger was surprised to discover the inexorable hatred of the Action board, which was the strangest of many things happening". That is way better than, paraphrasing here, "There were many strange things happening. The strangest of all was the inexorable hatred of the Action Board. Clevinger was surprised to discover it." There are more examples of that throughout the book, and they are WAY longer than the one I provided. There are several run-on sentences and examples of bad grammar, which are annoying. And the dialogue is just "shoot me in the head" awful. Further, he abuses such tags as "He lied" or "He questioned", which gets repetitive.

THIS WAS A REVIEW FOR CATCH-22

>> No.1122263
File: 15 KB, 300x300, 414b+3Ara9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh,get ready for this one.

>The devil and a bunch of his companions land in 1930's Stalinist Moscow and wreck havoc on the officially atheist city. What follows is an, in my opinion, incomprehensible tangle of out-of-the-ordinary events, not made any easier to comprehend due to the impression that one half of the male characters in the book seems to be called Nikolai Ivanovitsch and the other half Ivan Nikolaievitsch. There are probably a lot of very witty references to biblical events, but most of these will have escaped my atheist attention. In short: this was no fun to read.

>> No.1122264
File: 38 KB, 400x600, 18453740_w434_h_q80.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1122258

Wow, what a fucking douche..FUCKING RAGE!

>> No.1122281

>>1122263
Why do people keep using "...in my opinion," when it's obvious that it's their opinion. It's like unless they explicitly say so, their words might be taken to be objective.

>> No.1122284

The picture of dorian gray
which is a waste of paper. What makes me say that? Could it be that the sins are too vague or too outdated? No, I judged this book based on my enjoyment or lack of enjoyment in reading it. Wit without substance, characters without passion, dialogue without reason. I found myself reading other books just so I had an excuse not to continue reading this one. In the end all I can say to truly show how I feel about this novel is that this book BORED me. 177 pages of art that is 'quite useless'. The only reason I finished was because I hate to start a book then walk away and also I wanted to do review (and to do a review without finishing the book is unfair).

>no character development
raged hard

>> No.1122286

>i did not like the book because it got me confused. it was so boring. i felt asleep when i was reading the book. the characters got me cofuse wih everybody. it did not have any action.

>Freak The Mighty

>> No.1122291
File: 79 KB, 280x367, AtlasShrugged.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>And here's the short version.

>Q: Why did the non-Objectivist chicken cross the road?

>A: To mooch off the productive achievements of the Objectivist chickens who had shown the way to the other side.

>Fortunately, since A is A, the non-Objectivist chickens all died when a train tunnel collapsed on them.

Only extreme liberals dislike this book for any reason other than its excessive length

>> No.1122293

No one star reviews, so have a three star review instead.

"I would fault Leigh-Fermor in two categories. The writer suffers from a surfeit of sincerity. He is a romantic through and through. Not only must he tell you where he went, but also how great the people there were. There is a conspicuous lack of irony or humor throughout the entire book and at times, the author's enthusiasm can become downright exhausting.

Secondly, Leigh-Fermor states in his preface that he has sometimes used his imagination to recall the events of the day. While I'm willing to give him a pass in the interests of economy and pacing of the story (Every travel writer, from Herotodus to B. Chatwin has done the very same thing), far too often it seems like the characters and conversations are merely the author's imagination and, in the end, he is just having a conversation with himself. That is merely my opinion, of course. May I be proved wrong.

After finishing, I thought the book was worth the read. However, I don't know if I would like to travel with L-F any time soon. "

>> No.1122297

here is a 5 star review

>Let me say this right now--whoever reads this book will be amazed by it. Not by the young age the author was when he wrote it, but by the fact that it is as good as (or better than) any other modern fantasy book on the market today. The world that Christopher Paolini has created is so absorbing that you won't be able to put this book down. His characters are complicated and very human. The story begins when a young man named Eragon, who is out hunting in a section of his country known as The Spine, discovers a dragon's egg. I really don't want to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read the book, so I'm not going to say anything more about it. Paolini's beautiful use of the English language is complimented perfectly by his tremendous creative ability. Other than the use of some common fantasy creatures (elves, dwarves, dragons, etc.), this story is completely original. I never found myself complaining about the fact that I had read something like this a thousand times before because, well, I hadn't. Every chapter of this book is intelligently written, without even the slightest hint of monotony. I strongly recommend this book to everyone. Go buy it now. You won't regret it.

>> No.1122300
File: 49 KB, 318x500, 466666666666.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>H.P. Lovecraft is by far the worst author I've ever heard of. His stories are ten times longer than needed. He spends fifty pages telling you what the grass looked like but one or two telling you about the climax of the story. He uses literary cop-outs like "It was indescribable" "unimaginable" and "beyond description". He is by far the worst writer ever. DO NOT BUT OR READ!!!!

>> No.1122302

>>1122297
FUCKING SHIT FUCK FUCK SHIT MOTHERFUCK ASS SHIT FUCK

>> No.1122303

>There is no doubt that "Crime and Punishment" would have been one of the greatest novels of the century had not Dostoevsky leaned towards the more acceptable sense of morality related to the weak tenets of Chrisitanity. In doing so, he made Rasknolikov a caricature of himself, lethargic and yet redeemable by accepting Christ's suffering. It was more appropriate to adapt Nietzsche's figure of "the noble superman" but Dostoevsky, at the time of his writing, was a destroyed soul, drinking and plagued by debts, a gambling and morphine addiction and on top of that, he was a converted Christian, which is to say he resembled a "spineless worm".

>There is a powerful beginning in which the bold character Rasknolikov conceptualizes the murder of an old aged hag who serves no purpose to society but beyond that, Dostoevsky tortures us with the conscience of an obstinate man who is shattered by an insignificant crime. In all effect, Dostoevsky became an apologist not only for bourgeois values and the Czar with his corrupt regime, but for Orthodox Christianity, which not only supported the exploitation of the Russian population but welcomed it. The end of the novel, which portrays a once proud, noble, and intellectually superior young man weeping before a prostitute and the image of the bible, brings about the demise of Dostoevsky's credibility.

The part where I truly began to rage is when he called a double murder "an insignificant crime".

>> No.1122307

>>1122300
that sounds like pretty valid criticism to me based off what else I've heard about Lovecraft.

>> No.1122312

>>1122300
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweM

>> No.1122315

>>1122303
this is why teenage nihilists should be sent to the gulag.

>> No.1122318

>>1122300
Sounds more like Tolkien than Lovecraft.

>> No.1122319

>>1122300

This is all true, though.

>> No.1122322

>The Drawing of the 3
Truly fiction for the brain dead. I bought this volume along with Books 1, 3, & 4, believing all the great press King's been getting about his magnum opus, The Dark Tower. I almost didn't read Book 2 because Book 1 was so abysmally awful, but I thought, it can't get worse. Wrong. It does. If you routinely use the word "dude" to refer to your friends, this book may be for you. If your sense of the profound comes from getting stoned and listening to the Moody Blues, this book might be for you.

The really appalling thing is that, even by the reduced standards by which I judge most genre fiction, this book is wretched. I have read a fair amount of speculative fiction, science fiction, and fantasy. I am used to, if not great writing, at least interesting ideas and imaginative worlds. The dearth of imagination in King's Dark Tower world only serves to make the sophomoric ideas and juvenile writing that much more painful to experience.

I'm perfectly happy to entertain the idea of multiple, parallel universes and wierdness in the time-space continuum which allow cross-over from one universe to another (the physics of it all aside -- just as a feat of imagination) -- but really, a door appears on a beach not one but three times, and every time the Gunslinger walks through the door he's inside someone's head! And the head he's inside is always in New York City! Whoa, dude! Pass me the bong! I might give King a little credit if he managed to imagine New York City at different times in history, or in the future, but New York between 1955 and 1975? This is imaginative?

C'mon, people! Even if you've never read any C. S. Lewis, Tolkein, Herbert, or LeGuin -- think of it this way: Alice fell through a rabbit hole and Dorothy got carried to another dimension by a tornado. A door? Into someone's head? Doh!

Fuck you, man. Fuck you.

>> No.1122324

>>1122303

Yeah, this was actually a pretty good review, except for his mistake of calling the double murder insignificant. I agree with his critique of Dostoevsky's lack of moral risk-taking, but I really don't agree if that guy gave the book 1 fucking star. That's bullshit. I would subtract one star for that, nothing more.

>> No.1122336
File: 51 KB, 421x700, the-sirens-of-titan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> What a piece of junk. I certainly could write better than this. SiFi should not be that difficult to hold a theme for a story, but this book was utter junk. I hated every page of it and read it only as I was looking for something I never found. I do not recommend buying it ever for any price. I'll send you mine free.

>> No.1122351

>>1122324
actually taking a moral position (mind you one that was becoming unfashionable in Dostoyevsky's time and would eventually be oppressed in Russia) was more of a risk than subscribing to materialism for Dostoyevsky. Perhaps not officially, but to his literary legacy (i know he could not have known this would be a risk, but it was) Raskolnikov's conversion shows a character develop, and encompasses more than just an individual's choices. If raskolnikov had just been justified throughout the novel, and became a ''nietzschean superman'' the novel would have been insufferably boring, would have shown no development. The presentation of Raskolnikov is challenging to the reader, which is why the reviewer is so mad. He would have liked to read a book which supports his self-satisfied outlook and instead he gets a complex characterization which challenges him to question even his own ''radical'' views.

>> No.1122386

>>1122176
I was sure, before I searched for this review, that this reviewer was referring to the bible. I was pleasantly reassured as I saw it with my own eyes.

>> No.1122390

>>1122351

Right, but I guess my critique of Raskolkinov's conversion is not that he changed, but more along the lines of how drastic the change was. I don't believe that anyone would swing that drastically, especially someone as stubborn as the main character.

>> No.1122400

>>1122297

I know I should be disappointed that anyone believes this, but I don't think I could honestly criticize someone for thinking Eragon is a great book. I don't know, I picture whoever the reviewer is as an innocent child, and I weep when I think of my cynical self.

>> No.1122432

>Yeah that's right. I got to be honest, I've only read 10 chapters and that was all that I could take from from this major let down. Honestly I haven't read a good "american classic" if there is such a thing maybe for the exception of Huck Finn. Those chapters about Ishmael sleeping with whatever his name was and Ishamel had such a good time with the other guy's arm over him and leg over him that he didn't know if he was straight or gay any more. But that's not the point, the point is that this book is horrible, it is even worse then another so called american classic "the red badge of courage". I love literatur just as much as the next guy but we must face it 100 years or so ago American literature was reall weak and lagging from the rest of the world, perhaps now they're starting to catch up with writers like Ann Rice and them.

Specifically raged at the Anne Rice comment.

>> No.1122433
File: 467 KB, 1038x1224, moby_dick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1122432

Fuck. Forgot the pic.

>> No.1122464

>>1122322
I would have agreed about the depths this book sank to had I not read The Eyes of the Dragon which was 100x worse. King is great at using the English language but deplorable in plotting and below average in characterization.

>> No.1122690

The Denial of Death (Paperback)
>My son and I often exchange books so we can have a better insight into each other. I am a very intelligent person and a fast reader. This 285 page book took me 6 weeks to read; I had to read it with a dictionary by my side and when I was done my final comment was..WHAT???????????????????????????????

>> No.1122704

>>1122690
>I am a very intelligent person and a fast reader.
Hey, can't argue with him then.

>> No.1122714
File: 49 KB, 333x500, ham_on_rye.large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This is the worst book I've ever read. There's no moral, theme or lesson behind it. You don't learn anything. It's not interesting. There are a thousand different characters and it's nearly impossible to keep track of which one is which because every character is equally boring, uninteresting and one-dimensional. Also, Bukowski was obviously a sick, perverted, twisted person. He refers to one guy as a "fetus-eater," and he goes into detail explaining things about bowel movements and masturbation (and in one case, one of his friends does a sexual favor for a dog). The story takes place from the early 1920's through 1941, and before I read it, I thought it might give an interesting perspective on what it was like to live at that time, with the depression and then pearl harbor going on, but no. It was boring as hell. Bukowski's life is incredibly boring and uneventful, and I really don't understand why he chose to give the world the misfortune of this book. It's terrible. Nothing happens. It ends so abruptly. I hate Bukowski.

>> No.1122715

>>1122704
Yea, probably the pages were just really big and the font really small.. and stuff

>> No.1122764

The 1 star isn't even about the stories it's about how dude can't fucking keep his shit together... Book is Conan the Cimmerian btw.

>Great stories...One of the best writers of short stories ever. Terrible book. After the second story it started to fall apart. Del Rey should stick to e-books.

>> No.1122776

>Plot- 10/100
I guess what hurt the plot so bad is the absence of excitement. The main character, Joe enters World War I and is badly hurt. Most of the book is spent in his mind, of him thinking to himself about how bad war is. Contrary to the wonderful novel, Catch 22, this book is simply BORING! Other than everything, this is a great book. I read this book for a senior project for my high school English teacher and I told her it was the worst book in history. That's how bad it is.
Climax- 10/100
Poor Dalton made the end of this book up in 10 minutes. I can't tell you what happens, but it involves a mental climax. You are thinking... Mental climax? Yes, that's right, Joe thinks to himself. The end of the book is one 50 page rant on war. *Screams* He ended the book with a few hundred mixed opinions about war, many repeated constantly.
Literary Quality- 50/100
The reason why I gave Trumbo 50 on this section is because he ended his sentences with periods. Good job, at least one part of this book is decent, most of the time. Sometimes, I actually stopped to measure how long some run-off sentences were... The longest was a whole page! He repeats ideas many times on one page, and even in one chapter. Awful.
Lasting Appeal- 0/100
I would not read this book again if you threatened to throw me in a pit of scorpions, mad cows, rat poison, mentally deranged elephants, math professors, sharks, Disney characters, and hydrochloric acid. Think about that. It is THAT BAD! I struggled through every chapter. The only good thing I got out of this was some opinions if I ever decide to be a anti-war maniac. You know, the ones that live in a cardboard box on the porch of the white house. The ones that protest to the first lady about how nobody remembered the alamo. That's how dedicated you have to be to survive reading this. The only reason I read it was that I had to for school.... Suffering through this book was my hardest project ever.

DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.1122781

>This book is filled with short stories of bad boring science fiction. References, complete with page numbers, to non existent books only add to the tedium

>I have read and enjoyed a wide variety of literature in my lifetime, but never before have I found such rubbish masquerading as itellectual work. David Bickford. UK.
>itellectual

I don't even know what to say.

>> No.1122782

>>1122776

Another, more DONT TALK BAD BOUT MY MERRICKA

>This book was a requirement for my high school Englis class and to me that is sad. By requiring students to read this book is like teaching poor citizenship and to not have pride in helping you country. After pludging through a slow and monotonous start I did find some part'sdescribed so well it's as if I could feel them. But overall I found the book to be a bore and insulting to some of the things that I believe in. I find it hard to believe that a citizen and soldier would have the attitude that Joe portrays. Yes, it stinks to be in his position, but the bias anti-war views are layed on a little thick. To be anti-war is to be anti-freedom. Joe should be proud to have served his country and quit his whining. If anyone is looking for a real war book I suggest " The Red Badge of Courage" that is a book that portrays the horror of war, but also the honor of serving your countries purpose. Avoid Joe's snotty attitude and don't read this book. Daulton Trumbo has to skill to be a great writer, it's just to bad he wasted it to express his extremly bias and whiny views. We all know that war isn't pretty, and to those veteren's who have suffered so I can enjoy my life today the way it is I'm grateful, but if Joe were real I would leave his name off of my Veteren's day list.

>> No.1122787

>>1122776

LOL. The part about the run-on sentences made me laugh. If he thought Trumbo's sentences were bad, he'd have a fucking hemorrhage reading "Absalom, Absalom!" by Faulkner.

>> No.1122792
File: 15 KB, 300x300, 412FYKPYEWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"Depressing"
>The Bell Jar is a story of a teenage girl, Ester Greenwood, who dives deeper and deeper into depression, rejection & suicidal thoughts. The novel starts out with Ester's internship in NYC for a magazine, all seems normal. However, when Ester returns home she is on a downward spiral, eventually going through with her suicide thoughts and ending up in an instutition.
>Not having suffered from depression and self-esteem issues, it was hard for me to relate to Ester and her troubles.

>The Bell Jar is a a very sad tale of depression, thoughts of suicide, belonging and self-worth.

>> No.1122797

>>1122787

I remember trying to read Absalom, Absalom! Of course, I was in eleventh grade, didn't realize it was kind of Book 2 in a trilogy of sorts, and eventually put it away because I had the brains to try other Faulkner first.

>> No.1122805

Watership Down

>
Everyone says how this book is wonderful and has a greater meaning and the descriptions are wonderful blah blah blah..I had to read this book in english class and write reviews on it and answer questions I have never read anything more boring in my life! And one that loves to read..I couldn't believe what I was reading...When he's trying to explain how Fiver is scared in like 5 pages of details...no wonder i was getting more sleep lately ;) he could've easily cut the book half,if he didn't put so much detail into it... Maybe if I could actually not fall asleep after a page of reading I could describe how utterly flat and repetitive this book is. I hope you never have to go through reading this book....
P.S. I recommend you to read Confessions of A Shopaholic (it's hilarious)

That one is probably the most rage-worthy, although the majority of the one-star reviews seem to be students who "were forced to read the book, but couldn't finish it".

>> No.1122803

>>1122782

Wow, what a piece of shit. "I don't like this book because it has the audacity to challenge things I blindly believe.

>> No.1122819

>>1122782

>Joe should be proud to have served his country and quit his whining.

THAT'S EASY TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE NOT MISSING YOUR ARMS, LEGS AND HALF YOUR FUCKING FACE

10/10 to the troll that wrote that review

>> No.1122855

>>1122805
>someone who loves to read.
God fucking dammit

>> No.1122881

I was first introduced to Shogun via the TV mini-series. It is a gem. Usually the book is even better than the media version. Not so. The book is full of cursing & trash talk. It is tedious in plot and story development. The only saving part of the book is the addendum page (yes, just 1) that "completes" the Shogun saga.

>> No.1122948
File: 30 KB, 265x400, the things they carried.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(Since several of my faves were already reviewed, here's a book I read recently.)

>The things they carried was an interesting book creepy to say the least as I read further and further into the book the more creepy and disturbing the book got. It started out with Tim as a kid and he had just got his draft letter and he did not want to go to war. So he said he was going to go to Canada to get away from the draft. On his way up he stopped at an old motel right before the border. He decided to stop here a talk to the guy on the front porch. They talked all night and the next day the guy took him fishing the guy took him across the border on a boat where Tim started to have hallucinations about just jumping out the boat and on to the border and escaping the draft but he decides that he will go to war and be a man. Then the scene sets in Vietnam and they are traveling through the jungle going from post to post while American troops are being blown up on land mines and booby traps. Tim talks about the war and his friends dieing and he goes from present to past back in forth talking about his friend hung himself because he was dead in mind after the war. Later in the story he takes his daughter to Vietnam with him so he can go back to the old days and see all of it again. The story ends with Tim making up stories about all of his dead friends and family to make him feel better. All around this story was well written but I did not like it I thought it was deeply disturbing and wrong I would recommended this to people who like war books about Vietnam but I strongly disliked this story.

>> No.1122960

>>1122805
haha

that was definitely a woman. women have no taste.

>> No.1122986

After twenty pages I threw this book against the wall. I have never read a more frustrating and disturbing book. All the dialogue is gibberish. In the first twenty pages, Alex and his lackies beat a guy senseless and rob him; they steal a car and trash it, they get into a vicious gang fight; they attack a couple at their home, destroy the husband's life work (his book "A Clockwork Orange") beat him and his wife senseless and rape the wife. This really ticked me off. I read this expecting a great story because it's a "classic", but I was severly disappointed. If you want to read the book, save yourself the frustration trying to wade through the garbage and read the last three pages.

fucking raged

>> No.1123023

>>1122960
>that was definitely a woman. women have no taste
why? brains are the same mostly. just different physical strength on average

>> No.1123025

http://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/0394700031/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&amp
;filterBy=addThreeStar

This one is long to post but is actually not retarded.
It's 3 stars instead of one but still the lowest score.

>> No.1123033

>>1123023
Women are ruled by their emotions, that effects their ability to judge. It is impossible for a woman to be objective.

>> No.1123057

>>1123033
>It is impossible for a woman to be objective
are u retarded?

>> No.1123065

>>1123023

>mostly

Yep

>> No.1123067

>>1123057
Are you mad? It is true, research it, learn.

>> No.1123077

>>1123067
>It is true
[citation needed]

inb4 schopenhauer

>> No.1123090

>>1123077
Okay, I suppose it is possible if she got all of her estrogen removed, but other than that...

>> No.1123091

>>1123033
The 1950s called, they want their opinion back.