[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 135 KB, 1920x1080, paterjorbison.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11215709 No.11215709[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

It's kind of fascinating how quickly Peterson blew up, and I'm wondering if it's part of the whole Trump/"alt-right" wave that was instigated by class rage and anxiety over shifting demographics.

When I first discovered Peterson, maybe 6 months before the Channel 4 thing, I was very interested in him from a self-help standpoint, but I found very little substance in his lectures, and I also found a lot objectionable. Then I jumped on the hating bandwagon (as crystallized by this article: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve)), but recently I've come around because I find what he has to say on issues that are personal to him (depression, diet) really interesting and useful. The issue is the sophistry and vagueness.

People compare him to Deepak Chopra, and I think that's only partially a valid comparison. The validity is how they both try to be as vague as possible, while saying a bunch of fluffy nonsense around some basic truisms. The difference is that Deepak Chopra doesn't know or understand philosophy, neuroscience, or Eastern religion, while Peterson clearly does (only Christianity rather than Buddhism/Hinduism). Because of that, if you can get Peterson to be clear and straightforward about the very few things he actually seems to care about, like depression, then he can say some very useful and insightful things.

But anyway, I think he was just the right philosopher/self-help guru for this time/zeitgeist. He basically parrots some pretty standard old bland conservative viewpoints, packaged in a fluffy (pseudo-)intellectual package.

>> No.11215729
File: 377 KB, 1076x779, 1527335794406.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.11215737

>>11215729
Why? I basically took a neutral position.

Somehow I get the feeling it's more likely you're a Peterson fanboy than a detractor.

>> No.11215743

>>11215709

>in b4 thread maxes out to /pol/ circlejerking