[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 53 KB, 433x600, k09-09-20-60.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11132589 No.11132589 [Reply] [Original]

Obscurantism: good or bad?

>> No.11132591

"obscurantist" is on the pseud bingo card

>> No.11132601

>>11132589
Bad of course. The aim of literature is to convey an idea to the reader. If you're being an asshole about it you're not a good writer. That's why Eastern philosophy has always been light years ahead of the West.

>> No.11132609

>>11132589
Jesus put in the mental work and come to your own conclusions.

>> No.11132641
File: 287 KB, 800x694, Youcandanceifyouwantto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11132589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxgnAeg-uU

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

>> No.11132669

Obscurantism is the practice of deliberately presenting information in an imprecise and recondite manner, often designed to forestall further inquiry and understanding. There are two historical and intellectual denotations of Obscurantism:
1. The deliberate restriction of knowledge - opposition to disseminating knowledge.
2. Deliberate obscurity - an abstruse style (as in literature and art) characterized by deliberate vagueness.

>> No.11132752
File: 31 KB, 220x341, Alchemische_Vereinigung_aus_dem_Donum_Dei.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11132669
>presenting information in an imprecise and recondite manner
My god! Come quick! Everyone, everyone! This man can see into another's mind and discern intent.
>often designed to forestall further inquiry and understanding
Yes, yes, that is mostly it. Now what else? What else is the purpose or is it just that the individual is in contradiction which he is trying to develop a way out through abstract terminology, almost as though he were a primate stuck in a cave painting pictures. He wants so dearly to be understood, but isn't it just him talking over himself, should I interject? And in where and to what, his ideas are all over the place! Should I just latch onto on idea that I know to be false and reason with him to understand my view?
>deliberate
mindreaders are worth a lot of money. maybe you help the world through your superpower.

>> No.11133778

>>11132752
Sometimes, people don't desire to be understood.

There is enough evidence of ill-intent in the world; unless you discern those who'd enjoy the destruction of that which is good at their expense, open your eyes.