[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 167 KB, 406x682, fountainhead-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1111588 No.1111588 [Reply] [Original]

Not trolling, how is this novel? Just bought it.

>> No.1111595

Awful. It's awful.

>> No.1111599

>How are my trolling skills? Just starting.

fixd.

>> No.1111600

Enjoyable, as long as one doesn't take Objectivism to heart. It's best to get carried along and not examine it deeply.

I prefer The Fountainhead to Atlas Shrugged by a mile.

>> No.1111610

If you can deal with all the blatant Objectivism, be prepared for a poorly written, dry narrative about a bull-headed man who must do things his own way and actively spites the world that conforms to the wishes of anyone else. Be ready to watch him fail, then succeed way too much. Also, be prepared for some of the worst romance writing in history. This stuff makes that cat litter they sell at Rite-Aid look golden.

If you want Ayn Rand, stick with Atlas Shrugged (from what I have heard, it is much better written), Anthem, and 2112, the epic song by Rush based on the previously mentioned book.

>> No.1111616

Time until Rush is mentioned: 5 minutes

>> No.1111617

>If you want Ayn Rand, stick with Atlas Shrugged (from what I have heard, it is much better written)

So you're giving a preference without having read Atlas Shrugged? How useless.

>> No.1111641

>>1111617
I know, it is a crime, but allow me to elaborate. I consider myself that of a proto-Marxist and decided to read Ayn Rand out of a "know thy enemy" mentality. I was joined by the Engels to my Marx in this journey. We started with Anthem, which we both enjoyed immensely, but began to split on views. I thought Ayn Rand wrote an interesting story, brought up an interesting point, but it lacked validity. My friend disagreed, so we continued our path down Objectivism.

Next up was The Fountainhead. After reading it, I raged against Rand, I felt Objectivism was an atrocity and almost felt compelled to burn the book. My friend calmly disagreed and went on to read Atlas Shrugged, where I quit.

He says that he will admit that The Fountainhead is very poorly written, very dry, and the characters are awful cartoons of people. On top of this, it conveys the ideology of Objectivism with a similar zeal to that of Mein Kampf, while Atlas Shrugged is a more.... palatable example of Objectivism.

So, while my views prevent me from buying a copy, I would still recommend it over The Fountainhead. It simply must be better.

>>1111616
Beat you to it.

>> No.1111710
File: 15 KB, 336x229, 1283335147633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>my face when i read this book

>> No.1111736

You will like this book if:

You hate helping others.
You think people would be best in small cubes where they could all be alone.
You think sex should be consensual rape.
If you are successful, it probably means you are a cocksucker.
You are out of kindling and desperately need a fire.

>> No.1111753

bit.ly / bleargh

>> No.1111754

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but have recently finished The Fountainhead.

I didn't like it until he raped that Dominique girl, then I hated it. Decided to continue reading, it picked up near the end.

The characters are hard to empathize with, but it's not the most horrible book I've ever read.

Rand does seem to like the word 'gay' in this book though.
>Gail Wynand gaily opened the gay door while gaily taking off his gay hat gay gay gay.

>> No.1111762

>>1111610
>Anthem
Anthem is shit.

>> No.1111782

>>1111754
Not to pick at nits, but I do not think it was rape. Well. It started as rape, but Dominique with her Objectivist mind-set thought "Oh! He is raping me! That is bad! ... Wait. Why is this bad? I was wanting sex, and he is good at sex. Who cares about the emotions behind it? I just wanted to be fucked and someone fucked me. I suppose I will stay with my rapist in his apartment in the slums of NYC for a while."

Best part of the book there too. "You want breakfast?"
"No, I will make my own fucking breakfast."
"Fine! Then I will lay here staring at the holes in your celing!"
"Good! I don't care. I just want eggs. I will make eggs, because I do not care about you or your feelings. Beeteedubs, Imma gonna raep you again."
"Good. But I am not happy about it."
"Good. Me neither."

>> No.1111788

>>1111736
It's not rape if it's consensual. Shit's hot bro.

>> No.1112019

Objectivist philosophy isn't bad as long as you take it with a grain of salt.

The idea that nobody should help anybody else ever for any reason or request help for any reason? Kinda dumb.

The idea that you are responsible for your own success based on your hard work and natural talent? Not so dumb.

>> No.1112036

>>1111782
a rape dialogue i can actually lol at.

i never read atlus shrugged either but i've read the fountainhead. i thought it was stupid as fuck. good thing roark's parents weren't objectivists. and i know this because no parent in their right mind is.

>> No.1112041
File: 18 KB, 368x300, sohailmohammad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i agree with her but she uses the worst examples to convey her point with little meaning to it, her arguments are shiite