[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 122 KB, 647x1000, i don't want hope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11055974 No.11055974 [Reply] [Original]

Can depression help in writing more passionately, even though it would be ironic? If so, which depressed authors do you feel fit the bill?

>> No.11056143

Depression is the natural state of a human.

>> No.11057115

>>11055974
Depression is pretty debilitating. Nothing matters and everything is difficult. I think only with the addition of chemical coping mechanisms - drugs and alcohol - can it be fashioned into something conducive to making bleak art. But even then, there's a decent chance you'll just dig yourself in deeper and/or kill yourself.

>> No.11057239
File: 287 KB, 800x694, Youcandanceifyouwantto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11057115
>Boring defeatist whines
>Boring defeatist don't know berserker lifestyle good
>Boring defeatist no let off joy and anger amongst friends and deafeated enimes
>Boring defeatist know not triumph in even opening can of beans
>knows not victory in great amputheatre where afterwards beserker celebrate and than go party and fuck
>berserker honour history of town, of nation and give thanks and graitude to supporters of meson getting drunk and going into battle.
>Me now sell used cars and have large family
>Speak now weakling and stammer your joke book titles which I shall smash

---

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

>> No.11057288

>>11057115
this. depression (real depression) if anything will just inhibit your ability to put your pen to the paper.

>> No.11057376

Depression will keep you in bed, maybe going on 4chan, withering away while you're completely aware of that fact
Despair is the one that motivates art. Despair is intellectual, i.e. it stems from thinking about your life or the human condition, and can be transformed into art. Depression is a physical condition and basically keeps you in bed.