[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 800x531, m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11012340 No.11012340 [Reply] [Original]

When I read the Kindle, I remember very shit.
You?
Paper book is GOOD

>> No.11012380

literally where is the logic in this claim?
i argue the opposite for myself because i am more likely to annotate on an e-reader because it wont permanently fuck up the text.
inb4 faggot sticky notes

>> No.11012740

>>11012380
You're just a faggot for not using a pencil on any book that isn't out of print

>> No.11012779

>>11012340
I have been reading my books on my Kindle Paperwhite for a year now and cannot find a single thing that would make me prefer a book. Honestly. Maybe the smell of the paper?

>> No.11013299

>>11012740
>scribbling in what little room is in the margin
>leaving eraser marks on your text
and im the faggot?

>> No.11013530

>>11012779
Physical books have greater ontological actualisation, and by associative tranference their ideas feel more real. The e-book is ephemeral: only the current page you are reading is actualised on the screen, then with a click of a button the text is gone, consigned back into the zeros and ones of digital potentiality. A physical book sits on your shelf in the physical world and maintains its actualisation for decades or centuries until the paper rots or the ink fades.

>> No.11013544

>>11012340
Both.

e-readers to read out books in droves, and then I know what books I actually liked so I buy hardcovers or premium editions of it if possible.

>> No.11013545

>>11012380
There was a study done that suggests that you're more likely to memorize a piece of text read from a book than one read from a screen. There's apparently an associative link between the physical act of holding a book and flicking through its pages and the text contained within the pages themselves.

>> No.11013554
File: 148 KB, 1080x1080, 1522753530513.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11012340
For me i'll never be able to decide if i want books to fill a nice library and enjoy them, crack their spines and ruin their corners of have a comfy E-reader to read in bed and never worry about heavy books that hurt my soyboy arms

>> No.11013561

>>11013530
>>11012340
Truth. I recently received a nice dictionary as a gift and there's no doubt I absorb and recall definitions far better now.

>> No.11013576

>>11013545
sounds like this would only be an issue with brainlets, i.e. casual readers which im sure the study was based off. anyone that goes on /lit/ should in theory have some measure of critical thought or affinity toward reading that would make whatever 'gains' irrelevant.

>> No.11014212

>>11012340
One book sized thing holds 1,00 of books, exist in the cloud, so if you lose your book thing you still retain your books.

>> No.11014240
File: 62 KB, 690x460, 1503076435884.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of the main reasons I don't like e-readers is because of Amazon's dominance in the market. It's honestly easier to convince people to read physical books than it is to buy a non-Amazon e-reader. To most people every e-reader is a Kindle in much the same way every tablet is an iPad. I don't like the idea of having your real identity tied to all the books you read, and data about your reading habits being uploaded, with the possibility of Amazon to deleting your entire library or blacklisting the device. A larger market share would also allow them to act as defacto censors if they wanted to. Not to mention that they need electricity to work, while a book just needs a bit of light.
E-readers do have an upside, I've got a secondhand Kobo that I connected to the internet once when it was empty to update then turned the wifi off, and it displays pretty much anything I've thrown at it. It can be more convenient than carrying a physical book around, the screen is nicer on the eyes than a laptop or phone, and the battery lasts long enough that I haven't yet run out of charge unexpectedly. It's... nice.
Nothing beats a physical book though. It might sound daft, but each book is it's own thing. They're different sizes, different lengths, different ages, even different smells. When you pick up a book that book is the only book it can and will ever be. It's so much less ephemeral than an e-reader. In many ways you aren't even picking up a book at all, you're picking up the Bible, or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, or fucking Harry Potter, whatever. Point is, one book can never pretend to be another, unluck an e-reader, where it could be anything.

>> No.11014245

>>11012340
paper book is best. kindle for hipster faggots who refuse to like smell of book - sign of the faggot

>> No.11014770
File: 356 KB, 502x476, skeletor.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I prefer paper books, but i simply cannot afford them. I have no intention of borrowing from the library because having a limited time window within which i have to read a book spoils my enjoyment of it. So whenever I have the chance, I buy a paper one, but it's not something i can do every day.

I agree with >>11014240
but I simply have to use it

>> No.11014794

>>11014240
You can also just put your kindle in airplane mode indefinitely and load books via usb.

>> No.11014842

>>11014240
> I don't like the idea of having your real identity tied to all the books you read, and data about your reading habits being uploaded, with the possibility of Amazon to deleting your entire library or blacklisting the device. A larger market share would also allow them to act as defacto censors if they wanted to.
this is only the case if you allow them to do it you autist

>> No.11015611

if I can find cheap, wether if new or second hand, I will buy it, otherwise, liking or not I read on my phone through kindle app (>tfw poorfag). Gotta say though, there were books that I would read if I had a physical copy but didn't read because I having to read on my phone outweighted my wish to read it, so on my phone I only reas books I really want to an can't find/can't find cheap.
Its very good for reading another language, the ability to click on a word and having a dictionary definition, a translation and a wikipedia page on that word, if available is amazing and has helped me.

>> No.11015626

>>11014842
And also if you don't. You just have to buy from them and it's happening. It's Amazon's entire business model, and has been from inception.

>> No.11016709

>>11013530
Sup Cris

>> No.11016723

>>11016709
sup

>> No.11016796
File: 27 KB, 400x300, aaa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>11013530
What kinda bullshit is that? The same information is still there. You still read the same words which carry the same meanings and intentions. You still get to experience the book, it's just a whole lot more cheap, efficient and convenient than a physical book.

>> No.11016814

>>11016796
>You still get to experience the book, it's just a whole lot more cheap, efficient and convenient than a physical book
t. amazon

>> No.11017007

>>11014240
just buy the ereader from other company and download epubs from libgen faggot

>> No.11017334
File: 777 KB, 1021x1814, comfyreading.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related is me with my Kobo Glo HD in the forrest. I have "The Decline of the West" as a hardcover book but it has 1400 pages. I dont wanna travel with a big red brick in my bag. Especially when "Der Untergang des Abendlandes" is written on it and everyone thinks I'm a Neonazi just because I read this book.
Oh, same goes for Hitler's Mein Kampf.
If it werent for my Kobo, I would not have read this book. No way. Reading the book version of Mein Kampf in public in Germany is just a call to get punched in the face by some leftwing nuts.

>> No.11017375

>>11017334
followup to my first post:
another reason the Kobo comes in handy is that I have very poor dim light vision since my Lasik (just google 'lasik complications pupil size'; basically if you have large pupils your dim light vision will be shitty after lasik because the laser treatment zone has a standard diameter of 6.5mm, if your pupil is bigger than this you will see with the treated and untreated zone at the same time, resulting in higher order aberrations that cant be fixed with glasses) and with the Kobo I can make the font bigger and I can brighten the screen (its like looking into a flashlight -> pupils shrink -> my vision gets better while reading).

TLDR:
eReaders are better because
- lightweight traveling
- protects me against Antifa assault
- literally gives me better vison

Tbh if I wouldnt have Lasik issues and if I wouldnt read politically incorrect material I would read books.I had the Kobo Glo since 2015 but started using it after Lasik in August 2016, which is the same time I started reading Mein Kampf. In the 12 months before this I didnt use the ereader at all

>> No.11017418

readers prefer books to kindles for the same reasons that:
>music lovers prefer vinyl to CD
>producers prefer analogue to digital
>musicians prefer acoustic to electric
>painters prefer watercolour to a wacom tablet
>socialites prefer face-to-face conversation to text messages
>sculptors prefer clay to google blender

there's a sense of security and tangibility to it that's missing from its digital counterpart, especially considering the susceptibility of that delicate sequence of ones and zeroes to attack, erasure or corruption. that is at least when you look at it from the perspective of artistry. engineers and scientists seem to look at it the opposite way.

>> No.11017492

>>11017334
I saw two Krauts walking yesterday and as they passed I said, "fucking Krauts."

>> No.11017561

>>11017334
Such response is exigent circumstances. An eye may be a suitable price for any eye, but then what is compense for freedom?
Much lost and more during indefinite and impunitive bondage may be reclaimed in a definitive pardon for liberty, for life. A righteous action would be swift, emphatic, cautionary, and final.
An offering nourished, affirming the denied by the infliction, is nearly poetic.
Quite a bargain that would be, when an apple finds decompose for a thousand more, whether in some lasting tree or a healthy barrel.