[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 725x485, let_the_right_one_in16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1096773 No.1096773 [Reply] [Original]

Did Oskar and Eli live happily ever after or was Eli using him as a love slave the same way he did with Hakan?

I couldn't genuinely read Eli and his intentions.

>> No.1096781

ahahaha gay ahahah fuyck

>> No.1096792

>>1096781
Are you trying to be the new Stagolee or something?

>> No.1096805

Hakan and Oskar's circumstances were very different.

It is stated pretty explicitly that Eli "employs" Hakan late in Hakan's life and that she never really cared for him, and throughout the book it seems pretty clear that she is not affectionate towards him.

Eli's relationship with Oskar developed quite differently from that. I think that even though it's all open to interpretation Lindqvist has stated that he did not intend for Oskar to be seen as simply a replacement for Hakan.

>> No.1096826

>>1096805
>it seems pretty clear that she is not affectionate towards him.
I know, but he does tell him that he loves him and offers to let Hakan spend the night with him, so he could easily lead Oskar on like that.

My main interpretation was that Eli knew Hakan was pretty much useless and was seeking a replacement companion. Hanging around with Oskar reminded Eli of his childhood that he'd forgotten, which was coincidental rather than romantic attachment.