[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 563x350, 1281943369147.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1093626 No.1093626 [Reply] [Original]

I want to know what /lit/ thinks makes a good story.

I'll start: I like a story with a main character that is relatable, or least someone I can understand, whose actions are justified through their personality. If I feel good when they succeed and bad when they fail, this is a good character to me.

>> No.1093633

To me well crafted characters aren't the crux of a good story. What makes a good story good is...well the story: an engaging, interesting, and thought-provoking plot that makes you want to read faster, to turn the pages quicker, to reach that last sentence in record time without relinquishing the joy of savoring every last letter.

>> No.1093644

>>1093633

So, what're you're telling me is that, in your opinion, a story is only as good as the story itself? Would you mind giving me an example of something that fits the bill?

I believe I understand what you're saying here, I just want to make sure I'm clear.

>> No.1093647

anything involving rape and/or the mutilation of a corpse is a good story.

>> No.1093652

If I can tell what's about to happen, usually that's the mark of a less than well written tale. There are exceptions, like in a Pratchett or an Adams novel, where you know everything is about to go pear shaped, but you can't help but read on because you want to see how the author does it. In short, a sense of something that's at least a fresh take, if not a completely original idea.

>> No.1093660

>>1093633
You know, I have made at least five threads asking whether /lit/ would prefer a story with strong characters participating in a weak narrative, or vice-versa.

You are literally the FIRST person I've ever seen prefer a good story to strong characters. I'm not criticizing, but where the fuck were you for those threads?

>> No.1093661

>>1093660
I actually agree with him

Or, at least, I think that a story is much more important than good characters. Lack of good story will affect our enjoyment more than lack of interesting characters.

>> No.1093669

Charles Dickens. Dickens makes a good story.

>> No.1093687

Well written story or well written character? Do I really have to choose? I mean, shouldn't a GREAT story have at least a little of both? I mean, if I wanted to follow a cardboard cutout of a character on an adventure I'd watch South Park. Most important to a great story is to find a balance between character development, and progression of the narrative.

>> No.1093698

>>1093687

This is my thought exactly. I don't see why a story cannot have both, why compromise?

I didn't mean to spark a debate amongst story vs. character in importance, I was merely pondering my own thoughts about what makes a story strong. Relatable characters, a strong narrative, a gripping purpose to the character's motives, etc. etc.

>> No.1093699

>>1093687
well, obviously, if you can have a well-developed story and interesting characters, that's best

but if you have to choose, or just don't give a fuck, choose story

>> No.1093717

A good story writes its own characters and good characters write their own stories. Thus you don't need to focus on one or the other, but you should strike a balance between the two. It's a bit of an oversimplification to group elements of prose into strictly plot and character anyway.

>> No.1093746

I always thought that the story should be your characters story.

Interesting characters = interesting story.

>> No.1093747
File: 12 KB, 270x250, artist_me2flip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Somebody say Dean?

>> No.1093779
File: 27 KB, 150x158, avatar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1093746

See, this is how I always felt. I have a basic idea for a plot, to which I then develop characters for, and while the basic idea may stay the same, the journey there will be completely different based on what the characters end up doing.

>>1093747

Name's Dean. Dean.

>> No.1093781

i think a well written story is more exciting to read, but dont leave lasting impressions. i think developed characters leave longer impressions on me after ive finished reading, but are less exciting to read about

>> No.1093788

>>1093781

An example good sir?

>> No.1094852

>>1093788
Most younger reading. Alex Rider books, for example, are pretty good with regards to the bad guy's nefarious schemes and stuff, and the ways they're thwarted, but the characters remain one dimensional because it's intended for younger readers.

... not saying that you should only read young teen books, it was just the first thing I thought of.