[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 220x321, 220px-The_Tartar_Steppe_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10922531 No.10922531 [Reply] [Original]

In the Tartar Steppe there is a situation in which one of the guards gets separated from the group in order to fetch a horse while moving from the New Redoubt to the Foet. He has no password to get back into the Fort, but he tries anyway.
The guard on the wall calls out "who is it?" And recognises the guard stranded outside because he tells him his name. But nonetheless, that guard on the wall yells twice more "who is it?", then shoots him after the third time, according to regulations. I think they're supposed to call out 3 times before shooting.
But what is the point of calling out if the reply is disregarded? Is it really wise to waste lives of your own soldiers like that? The guard on the wall obviously recognised him and the superior who was standing by also recognised him but said nothing. Can someone explain to me why they didn't let him into the Fort?

>> No.10922556

Rules are rules nigga.
Also
>not reading it in the original italian

>> No.10922843

>>10922531
I thought it was because he needed to know the password, which was changed while he was gone.

Maybe I am miss remembering though because I read it over a year ago.

>> No.10922989
File: 133 KB, 960x720, 1517292522001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you don't have the most banal rules the soldiers would start fucking off when they realise nothing ever happens there and there is no point to all those things they do at the keep

>> No.10923124

>>10922989
They could have let him in and throw him in solitary confinement for a month. Better than killing him.. in fact, I've never heard of or read about anything like that before. It ruined the book for me a little because it lacked the explanation for this one strict adherence to the old rules whereas in every other instance the rules were becoming lenient and often not followed at all. Not far into the book Drogo is able to get high on the wall just to see the northern steppe despite regulations in place against having officers and personnel walking on the wall while not on duty.