[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 449x599, Kapitolinischer_Pythagoras_adjusted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10877750 No.10877750 [Reply] [Original]

I can't make sense of Pythagoras, pls help.

Pythagoras' philosophy, from what I've read so far, is based on the following main statements:
-Our soul is a part of what could be called an "universal psyche", it once participated in it but at some point they got separated and the soul got trapped in a physical body instead
-The soul is inmortal and repeteadly occupies different bodies until it achieves an state where it can go back to participating in the one intelligence of the universe, the way to reach this state is through philosophy
-Everything is composed of numbers
Now, the first 2 postulates are pretty straightforward, but the last one is fucking me up. Here's what I understand of it.
All things that exist participate on the same elements as numbers do, which are ordered in a pair of columns and are:
Limited--------unlimited
Odd-------------even
Oneness------plurality
Right------------left
Male------------female
Rest------------movement
Straight--------curve
Light------------darkness
Good------------evil
Square----------oblong
These elements are in a hierarchic order, where all the elements are a consequence of the ones higher up. The more important of them all are the limited-unlimited and odd-even pairs.
The limited-unlimited pair needs some clarification, the greek definition of unlimited is "that which has no limits", so it could mean something like what we consider unlimited (infinite, unbound) but it could also be something like an amorphous blob, or a mix of gases, since they ar something which posseses no internal limits to define them.
The odd-even pair explains itself so I guess I don't really need to explain it further.
Now. Why is an odd number the consequence of the limited and an even number of the limited? This is my first doubt and after struggling hard with it I have no idea how to solve it.

>> No.10877815

>>10877750
There is no actual connection. Both Odd and Even are limited concepts in one respect (they both have a definition) and unlimited in another (there are an unbounded/uncertain number of things that can be described as Odd, or Even).

>> No.10877834
File: 13 KB, 1272x192, Cordado1_English_version.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

His physics are even more confusing though.
One of Pythagoras' main discoveries was the mathematical proportions of the musical scale, he noticed that dividing the lenght of a string in certain proportions, which could be expressed using a ratio of the first 4 natural numbers, you could create the harmony on a musical scale, this is theorized to be the main driving force behind his theory that all is composed of numbers. But this is not what's important right now.
A monochord is a perfect analogue to illustrate the opposites in the table I posted in the op. A monochord by itself is an unlimited entity, possesing the whole plurality of possible sounds in the length of its string, only by applying a oneness which divides the string in two you can get an octave. After doing so you now have one limit in the middle and two limitless existences on the sides. This is, in a nutshell, the workings of the universe, an undefined whole which is defined and turned into a kosmos by limits set in by the numbers.
Now, this looks like it makes sense, but. Why would the unlimited need to be a plurality? You would think that this unlimited whole could be something like Anaximander's apeiron, which could posses both characteristics.

>> No.10877873

>>10877815
That's clearly not what Pythagoras meant desu

>> No.10878122

RESPOND, YOU COWARDS ;_;