[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 420x677, 40-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1080363 No.1080363 [Reply] [Original]

so im trying to read a Clockwork Orange since I heard it was really good but there are all these words taht I don't know in it. So I looked it up and the only way I could find out waht they meant was to find the online dictionary. I didnt finish because my neck started to hurt after looking up and down from book to screen every ten seconds but i was thinking if this book was made in like the thirtys or something then how did people find out what the words meant?

>> No.1080372

no
I am NOT going to reply to this

>> No.1080373

Learn Russian and stop bitching.

>> No.1080376

Don't care if it's a troll, I'm gonna drop some knowledge anyways.

The language in the book is one made up by Anthony Burgess called Nadsat.

As you keep reading, you'll eventually pick it up.

Alright, droogie?

>> No.1080377

Also, the book was "made" in 1962.

>> No.1080379

so im trying to read THE OP since I heard it was really good but there are all these words taht I don't know in it. So I looked it up and the only way I could find out waht they meant was to find the online dictionary. I didnt finish because my neck started to hurt after TRYING TO ABSORB THIS FAGGOTRY if this POST was made in like the NOUGHTIES or something then how did people find out what the words meant?

>> No.1080380

If it's really too hard for you then just print out the nadsat dictionary thing and keep it in the back of the book.

>> No.1080392

fucking retarded kid

>> No.1080397
File: 36 KB, 180x200, 1278290985381.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, my droog what do i have to govorit to you.
It's a wonderful kniga. A kind of kniga that both malchikas and devotchkas can like. I read when I was a was just a small little russki malchik that like books with lots of ubivat and lots of mertvij chelovecks but also all the chustva and lubov stuff because i was a huge pedik at the time. It's sad that all the Russian is mishayit you from lubit this wonderfull kniga. You should learn the old Russian real horrorshow my droog. But I hope you nravitsa it, OP.
Also Vodka, Vodka, Boris Yeltzen.

>> No.1080400
File: 163 KB, 400x400, 1280718955328.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1080397
I love Nadsat.

>> No.1080410

Burges wanted you people to analyze and understand the nadsat language while reading the book. The editorial department made him include the glossary in most versions.

Let that sink in for a moment.

>> No.1080417

It's really not that hard to figure out what the narrator is saying by context.

Even then, if you don't know what the hell is going on because of all the weird slang, it was probably intentional, a reflection of Alex's warped psyche or something. Just trudge through the words, then give it a second read if you're still totally lost.

>> No.1080418

>>1080410
My version (Penguin Modern Classics) didn't have one. But I understood every single word because I am russki as fuck.